• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winebuys.com

Craig Camp

Seems to be a lot of slow-selling wines there ('98 Cals, etc.). Which is to be expected at a close-out model business. But nothing jumped out at me. Some of the $5.99 ones I might try if they were in my local store, but I don't usually find it worth it to ship those wines.

The Fed Ex rate is nice, but NY not on list :sad:

My big worry would be storage. Most of these aren't current vintage. Discounted wine from a source I don't know - I'll wait till they get a rep.

I took a look and the pickings are not just random. Lots of Wilson Daniels, KoBrand and William Grant products. These are huge, national 'brand management' companies who probably struck terrific deals with winebuys.com people. A lot of Pacific on there too, now a part of Southern Wines & Spirits which is a large monopolistic firm. This is a nice sight for those interested in the lowest price on some solid but large production wines. I do not think you will ever find small production, lovingly crafted wines here because there is not enough volume to 'do the deals'. But damn it was cheap. And the shipping prices are extraordinary. They will have do do an awful lot of volume to keep afloat however, the margins are pretty low. Time will only tell I guess.

over it

I took a look and the pickings are not just random. Lots of Wilson Daniels, KoBrand and William Grant products. These are huge, national 'brand management' companies who probably struck terrific deals with winebuys.com people. A lot of Pacific on there too, now a part of Southern Wines & Spirits which is a large monopolistic firm. This is a nice sight for those interested in the lowest price on some solid but large production wines. I do not think you will ever find small production, lovingly crafted wines here because there is not enough volume to 'do the deals'. But damn it was cheap. And the shipping prices are extraordinary. They will have do do an awful lot of volume to keep afloat however, the margins are pretty low. Time will only tell I guess.

I've been in the business for 25 years. Much has changed in the last 5 years or so. Here in the Washington, DC market, long time family owned distributors have been bought out by large national corporations. These corporations have inventory policies concocted by accountants. No product should linger in the warehouse for more than 3 months, regardless of its price or stature. Some examples that have been offered to me in the past 3 years:

Pavillon Blanc du Chateau Margaux 1998, list price $46 a bottle wholesale, given to me for half price at $23

Penfolds Bin 707, list price $56 at wholesale, marked down to $20 a bottle

Hermitage Blanc "Chante Alouette" 1997, list price $48 a bottle at wholesale offered at $8.50 a bottle.

The first time one of the large national chains produced a close-out list, it started with wines marked down to 25¢ a bottle.

Mark

Hermitage Blanc "Chante Alouette" 1997, list price $48 a bottle at wholesale offered at $8.50 a bottle.

Holy shit.

I might move to DC and start a restaurant just to get a piece of that.

I will be pouring it by the glass for the next month or so. Stop in! The big dilemma: What to charge? :raz:

Edited by Mark Sommelier (log)

Mark

"Hermitage Blanc "Chante Alouette" 1997, list price $48 a bottle at wholesale offered at $8.50 a bottle.

"

Mark,

Be careful of bottle variation. We closed this out almost two years ago and there were some great bottles as well as not so great.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

"Hermitage Blanc "Chante Alouette" 1997, list price $48 a bottle at wholesale offered at $8.50 a bottle.

"

Mark,

Be careful of bottle variation. We closed this out almost two years ago and there were some great bottles as well as not so great.

Phil

Thanks, Phil.

I had a suspicion that might be the case. I took delivery on 5 cases. I'll report back as to their condition. The bottle we opened yesterday was stellar.

Mark