• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cauliflower Manchurian

RedPepper

Can anyone give me a good recipe for Cauliflower Manchurian?

Thanks!

What do you call Good cauliflower manchurian? What do you find working for you in terms of taste and texture when eating a good cauliflower manchurian?

In this last month, I have eaten it prepared in my own kitchen, that of another chef in NYC and also a version prepared by a chef I respect in CT. All three versions are similar and yet quite different and each are superb and addictively tasty.

We have had some threads on this forum, where this dish has been mentioned.

I also remember one in which a recipe was shared. I shall look for it and post.

In the meantime, if you do share with us some of what you know and enjoy about this dish, I am sure many that post here, will be glad to share recipes or tips with you.

Welcome to eGullet and its Indian forum. :smile:

If one of those links is to the recipe used at Diwan, USE IT!  That was one of the most wonderful cauliflower dishes many of us have had.  :wub:

That is very basic and very simple a recipe that I believe only Hemant and I use. The others that I mentioned above are somewhat more involved. A little different. Hemant and I prepare ours with little if any fuss. In fact we would be ashamed to ever reveal that recipe.

Michael Batterberry, who at this version on my significant birthday last year (at the surprise party hosted for me at Diwan), fell in love with the dish, and loved it even more after I revealed the little if any preparation and ingredient list of this recipe. He wanted to do a story on the recipe, and I think sometime in the near future, we shall share the recipe, but only after we have accomplished some greater tasks at hand.

But again, I am not sure what recipe redpepper has tasted and what they liked about it. Only more detail from redpepper could help us identify which recipe in fact would be the one they need. :smile:

Suzanne, whilst you think of the cauliflower Manchurian you ate at Diwan, what do you think made it one of the more wonderful cauliflower dishes? What works in that recipe for you? Mind sharing?

I am quite a SuzanneF fan... you have a great way with words... and are quite the talented chef and so much more..... as one reads your posts, one discovers so many new facets to the person behind SuzanneF. :wub:

Actually I know nothing about cauliflower Manchurian!!! My husband had it from one of his friend’s home long time back and we were looking for a recipe for the same. Actually I had tried two recipes I got from the web, but didn’t taste good. 50% flop. That’s why I posted it here asking for a good recipe!

Thanks for the warm welcome and I am glad to be here. Thanks for posting those links, I will take a look and give it a try if I come up with something. :rolleyes:

Red Pepper

My Workshop

The Lasuni Gobi (Garlic flavored Cauliflower) given in thali.com sounds delicious! I think I must try that. It is a bit different that the ones I tried! Wonderful pictures given in that site, thanks. I would like to try Seekh Kabab too

(Ground lamb kababs on skewers with roasted coriander powder, spices and fresh mint.). But where can I get ground lamb in US? Any idea?

OK I will be back after trying Lasuni Gobi! :raz:

Red Pepper

My Workshop

The Lasuni Gobi (Garlic flavored Cauliflower) given in thali.com sounds delicious!  I think I must try that.  It is a bit different that the ones I tried!  Wonderful pictures given in that site, thanks.  I would like to try Seekh Kabab too

(Ground lamb kababs on skewers with roasted coriander powder, spices and fresh mint.).  But where can I get ground lamb in US?  Any idea?

OK I will be back after trying Lasuni Gobi!  :raz:

Most any butcher in the US will gring lamb for you. All you have to do is request that. Thali has food that is just as wonderful in flavor as the photographs are visually.

I tried the Lasuni Gobi.  It was yummy, but it didn’t look as beautiful as the picture given in the website!  Hopefully, it will come out prettier and tastier next time.  :wub:

What was different in your version from the one in the photograph?

At the end of the day, taste actually matters far more. But I am curious... It is not easy to have food look and taste the same way.

Far too many photographs fail in presenting exactly how a dish will be prepared by another.

It is also for that reason that good publishing houses have made it their new goal to find photographers that can make food look good without altering its contents, garnishes and consistency.