• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L2?

cinghiale

In this month's Harper's, there's a moderately interesting piece on the cold case-solving Vidocq Society, which holds its periodic meetings here in Philadelphia. Toward the end, there's a particularly nasty episode where the "master profiler", along with the skull reconstructer, goes to dinner with two Texas lawmen ("hicks", I believe Mr. Profiler called them at one point) at a "westside" restaurant called L2. It kinda freaked out the Texans (acquarium, bathrooms labelled "WC", which led to another joke at their expense). They thought it was a gay bar. The cosmopolitan Vidocqians knew better that L2 is an example of the utmost in urban cool. (They end up at Doobie's, which the writer describes as a "pit", or somesuch).

I'd never heard of it, so I googled and got 22/South. Wassup? Anyone been? The only food I heard mentioned in the article was meatloaf. Is it a comfort food joint? Shoulda gone to Bella instead.

PS: The ending's kinda sad for Phila, too. These cosmopolitan types leave the Texans to walk home from 22/South to the Comfort Inn, which I assume is the one at Penn's Landing. Wandering lost thru CC Philly, they're unable to hail a cab from the street (earlier, one of them asked to hail one from the Downtown Club because he'd never done that before) and end up getting accosted. Thanks for a nice presentation of Philly, Harper's.

L2's been at 22nd and South for quite a while now...maybe 3 years? It's definitely known as a gay restaurant, and that's certainly the crowd I've seen at the bar. Been to dinner there once--IMO totally forgettable and overpriced. Plus I dislike the overdone atmosphere--it's a bit reminiscent of Astral Plane. Not worth a trip--if you're in the area, you're better off at Bella, or Dmitris.

Roma was also in that area--but it closed, and the sign says Dmitris Italian, coming soon. Anyone know more on that?

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Yep, that Dmitri's just hired a manager (friend of mine). She's holding staff interviews at Izmir Cafe at 9/Bainbridge. If anyone's interested, pm me, and I'll try and pass it on to her.

Edited by cinghiale (log)

Right across from My Thai

(FWIW, the best Thai in the city, although that isn't necessarily that much),

L2 is a decent enough place, I've always thought. Standard neighborhood bar+restaurant, w/o especially large clientele from any particular demographic. There may be a decent amount of gays I suppose. Possible that a lot of GLBT have moved into the graduate hospital area.

Assuming Sara's right that there are a lot of queer folk there, then it's the first gay type place i've heard of outside of wash west.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

L2 is a decent enough place, I've always thought. Standard neighborhood bar+restaurant, w/o especially large clientele from any particular demographic. There may be a decent amount of gays I suppose. Possible that a lot of GLBT have moved into the graduate hospital area.

There's always been a big population of GLBT in the area. Nearly 1/2 the houses on my block are owned by middle-aged gay couples. I think that would account for someone who's not used to that sort of neighborhood demographic thinking that L2 is a gay restaurant/bar, if it's not actually specifically gay-owned or something.

But generally speaking, my impression of it has always been pretty much the same as Herb's, and I've been there for drinks a bunch of times, although never for a full-on meal.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

if it's not actually specifically gay-owned or something...

Yes it is. Owner is a former roommate of a former co-worker. I've always thought the place was sort of charming in it's own way. I've only been in for drinks but it seems nice enough and I didn't notice that menu prices looked particularly high. Then again, I wasn't getting anything.

Speaking of the Vidocq Society, their master Forensic Sculptor (Frank Bender Clickety) and co-founder has his studio on that same block, so it would make sense that it's "in the 'hood", at least for him.

I used to live on that same block years ago and recognizing me as his former neighbor, Frank showed me around his studio one night when I bumped into him at (of all places) L2. His work is incredible and eerie to look at. His ability to reconstruct facial features and even expression from just the skull of a victim is uncanny. I liken it to something close to psychic ability.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

So it's official: not quite as gay as Judy's, much much gayer than Smith and Wollensky.  :laugh:

It's about the same "gayness" as Judy's. A gay owned and gay friendly restaurant that attracts a healthy portion of its clientele from the straight community and local neighborhood as well.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

So it's official: not quite as gay as Judy's, much much gayer than Smith and Wollensky.  :laugh:

see, i could see a gay individual going to smith and wollensky.

the prime rib, OTOH....

see bigjas, what you gotta do is offer more contrast.

prime rib has always seemed like the stuffiest of the steakhouses. maybe that's just me.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

P.S. yous all know I was just goofing around, right?  sometimes I forget people don't know me well here...

I figured you were joking about Smith & Wollensky. The rest I obviously wasn't so sure about... :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!