• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2001 Barone Fini Valdadige Pinot Grigio

tjaehnigen

2/17/03

$11 -- TJ Points = 84

I popped this bottle open after finishing off another bottle with bolognese sauce.

Greener in the glass than in the bottle, but maybe it was just the lighting. It seemed more pale yellow in the bottle. Anyway, the nose reminded me of peach blossoms and pears. It tasted of peaches and melons, but really only faintly so. The acidity was more in check with this wine, and thus it seemed better balanced than the Ruffino Orivieto Classico I'd just had. A better wine, but not significantly so. A decent enough simple Italian white, but there are better wines out there for $11, let me tell ya.

2/17/03

$11 -- TJ Points = 84

I popped this bottle open after finishing off another bottle with bolognese sauce.

Greener in the glass than in the bottle, but maybe it was just the lighting. It seemed more pale yellow in the bottle. Anyway, the nose reminded me of peach blossoms and pears. It tasted of peaches and melons, but really only faintly so. The acidity was more in check with this wine, and thus it seemed better balanced than the Ruffino Orivieto Classico I'd just had. A better wine, but not significantly so. A decent enough simple Italian white, but there are better wines out there for $11, let me tell ya.

$11 bucks for this swill from the coop with a label slapped on it is a rip off. Wines like this sell for 3 Euro in Italy. I really don't like this wine.