• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1999 Jacobs Creek Shiraz Reserve South Austra

tjaehnigen

3/2/03

This was served at a Shiraz/Syrah tasting we hosted. This wine was opened for abpout 75 minutes prior to consuming but was not decanted. This wine cost about $15.

The nose on this medium to medium dark red wine made you think it was not really a Shiraz at all. I thought to myself that this might be a blend (it was tasted blind) of some sort, perhaps with cabernet franc??? ANyway, I got a faint floral sense on the subdued violet nose. It spoke of things to come. This wine was really well integrated and was very smooth. Currants, black raspberry, vanilla and some lingering floral notes made themselves evident on tasting this. Nice medium long finish.

At $15, this wine is a bargain. I honestly would not have expected this from this producer.

90+ TJ points