• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1990 Cos D'Estournel

GordonCooks

A few months ago, a bottle proved a little tight and oaky so I decided that tonight, a couple of hours in a decanter would prove valuable.

The nose developed into nice cigar box & black cherry. The oak was present (but not dominant as the previous bottle), medium tannins with notes of currant, coffee bean. & leather. Overall, not as impressive as comparable 90’s but still a very good wine

GC-- Sorry to hear your experience wasn't as good as my recent experience was. The one I sampled was excellent. My WTNs are here.

I did enjoy it but I'm more of a Pauillac guy - we paired it with Charred Waygu Flank steak & it was a great pair.

I did expect a little more "oomph" for a 90, I'd be curious to see how well it will age.

I did expect a little more "oomph" for a 90, I'd be curious to see how well it will age.

Some years ago (prob about 6 or 7 now) I was speaking to a highly respected wine journalist in London, who has written numerous books on Bordeaux and he had a very interesting outlook on the 1990 vintage.

He said that a lot of the 1990s were at their peak (remember that this was about 1996) and that many were not going to improve. He did quantify this by saying that the big chateaux would go on for longer but ultimately that they would not last as long as everyone made out.

From personal drinking, I do not think that I have had enough 1990s to pass judgement, but of the ones that I have had I do find that they are a little lacking in structure and therefore may not last as long as one thinks. I think that in the long run the 1989 vintage will prove to be better.

As for the first growths I have only had Mouton 1990 and this was a cask sample in 1991. I remember it being very easy to drink then and wondering how long it would last. I have a friend who also had it 1991 and had similar views.

Some years ago (prob about 6 or 7 now) I was speaking to a highly respected wine journalist in London, who has written numerous books on Bordeaux and he had a very interesting outlook on the 1990 vintage.

He said that a lot of the 1990s were at their peak (remember that this was about 1996) and that many were not going to improve. He did quantify this by saying that the big chateaux would go on for longer but ultimately that they would not last as long as everyone made out.

From personal drinking, I do not think that I have had enough 1990s to pass judgement, but of the ones that I have had I do find that they are a little lacking in structure and therefore may not last as long as one thinks. I think that in the long run the 1989 vintage will prove to be better.

As for the first growths I have only had Mouton 1990 and this was a cask sample in 1991. I remember it being very easy to drink then and wondering how long it would last. I have a friend who also had it 1991 and had similar views.

I have to agree - I'm far from an expert, but many of the 90's I've had (except LaTour, Lafite, Gruaud) were very approachable after an hour or two in the decanter.

edited to include examples

90 LaTour & Lafite are immense

90 St Emilions & Pomerols (from what I’ve had) were very approachable

Edited by GordonCooks (log)