• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cadenhead's Rum Abbreviations

mrmaltster

Hi, all -

I'm hoping someone knows the answer to this or at least can point me in the right direction. Most of the Cadenhead's "Dated Distillation Rums" carry an abbreviation along with the country and distillery of origin. I've been unable to find out what they mean. Believe it or not, even Cadenhead's couldn't tell me. Here are examples:

Barbados WIRR from Blackrock Distillery 14 Y 69,2 %

Demerara VSG from Enmore Distillery 10 Y 75,7 %

Demerara VSG from Enmore Distillery 11 Y 74,2 %

Demerara GM from Uitvlugt Distillery 25 Y 70,2 %

Demerara PM from Uitvlugt Distillery 36 Y 69,3 %

Guyanan PDW from Caribbean Distillers Ltd 28 Y 63,2 %

Guyanan PDW from Caribbean Distillers Ltd 29 Y 60,9 %

Jamaican CRV from Long Pond Estate 13 Y 70,4 %

Any ideas what the WIRR, VSG, GM, PM, PDW, and CRV signify?

Cheers,

Jay

Where there's a still, there's a way.

mrmaltster........ Its very simple... which surprises me that you could not get an answer from Cadenhead......Its a code for the individual distillery. when a country or island has more than one Distillery.....For example ......

WIRR. in Barbados is the- "West Indies Rum Refinery" at BlackRock. (or the BlackRock Distillery) The distillery also makes various rums for other companies ,ie: Cockspur, Malibu etc.

Hope some one else can fill in more.

John.... Rumsearching.

PM = Port Morant

I am not sure that the initials are from the individual distilleries but from the individual stills. For example VSG comes from the Enmore distillery so VSG would be the still that made the rum.

These abbrivations often represent diffent so called marks or types of rum distilled at the various distilleries. One distillerie could have pott stills and column stills. On both distilation stills they are able to produce various types of rum or marks as they often call them.

One distillery could have e.g. 10 different marks what means 10 different basic types of rum.

Sometimes the initials of the distillery master are used for certain types of rum and or in combination with the abbriviation of the distillery itself. These abbriviations could originate from long times ago, from the time this specific rum was made for the first time at that distillery

Regards

Ed

Edited by scheer (log)

VSG seems to be the Versailles Distillery, which closed down in ± 1963 the pott still was taken over by enmore distillery, further on this is now produced at diamond distillery in Guyana

concerning the CRV this is a light column still Jamaican rum from Long Pond distillery but the meaning of CRV I did not found.

regards,

ed

Thanks for all the info, guys! So, it seems that these abbreviations are either for the distillery, the particular make/style from a distillery, or an individual still. Makes sense, I guess. Anyone know if anyone other than Cadenhead's uses similar abbreviations on their bottlings?

Cheers,

Jay

Where there's a still, there's a way.

• 3 weeks later...
Not that I know,

The only one I could think of might be Bristol Spirits

Regards,

Ed

Bristol Spirits don't use abbreviations. they have the name of the still and under that the geographical area of origin and then the age statement.