• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC Friday and Saturday

NYCCook22

Hey Guys I am coming to DC this fri and sat and would like some advice on where to eat. I am a cook in NYC (worked at Montrachet, Mercer Kitchen, Chicama and Park Avenue Cafe) and am basically looking to eat somewhere that is somewhat casual and offers good tasting menus (5-6 courses for 60 or so dollars is my range) Thanks in advance guys! I will be glad to answer any questions about NYC!

Kevin

Somewhat casual and good tasting menus but in what style Kevin? Most of the general advice you or cwyc need is already here in the forum. Are you looking for something more specific--or specifically in comparison to NYC? While much of what the usual suspects do here is perfectly fine--it's too often not at the competitve or interest level of NYC and too often dumbed down or supersized to suit the region's conservative power palate. Those few that hold up well on the high end, a Citronelle or Maestro, are beyond your price point. Without knowing more about you, my top food recommendation remains the brunch at Cafe Atlantico. It's what I turn to time and time again. Do the full tasting at $35 and revel in it. There's nothing comparable in DC or in NYC, especially for the price. If you're unfamiliar with South American wines, ask whoever is managing for guidance. You might also want to call ahead to see when Kats is cooking--since he ran Douglas Rodriguez's kitchen at Pipa, then did some great work at Verbena and spent a full season at El Bulli. (There aren't too many chefs working in NYC as good as Kats, by the way. I think he's a real under-rated rising star.) You guys could bond. I won't be around much this weekend.

cwyc--Kaz is downtown, depending on what your definition of "downtown" includes. It's easily accessible in an area called Foggy Bottom, 1915 I Street. Nectar and Citronelle are relatively close by. Wherever you are, especially if you would be coming from the Sofitel, it's an easy walk, cab or Metro ride.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Thanks Guys,

Basically i am just looking for interesting local food, Citronelle doesnt really interest me because for the price there or 10 or 15 restaurants i would rather go to in NYC, so anything that you think is unique to the DC area would be excellent even if it is street food or ethiopean etc.

Kaz's definately sounds interesting, will prob check it out. Nectar also sounds interesting, are they open for lunch? (if so do they offer a tasting?) Thanks again.

Kevin

I think Gerard's Place is currently offering a reasonably priced 3-course lunch -- perhaps in the ballpark of $35? You could call and ask first. If so, that could be a very good value. Gerard's Place is downtown -- on 15th Street between I and K.

Also, I second the votes for Kaz -- I think the sushi there is terrific. They also offer 2 different flights of cold sake (3 different kinds in each flight).

You could also go to Zaytinya and construct a great tasting menu of your own for the $60 you are willing to spend. There are a couple of other threads going here where you can read all about it.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code