• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Watermelon Sorbet

Rachel Perlow

I was looking for a watermelon sorbet recipe and found this one on RecipeGullet. I had a piece of a nice watermelon from the farmers market, so I made it last night. Well, the resulting sorbet is way too sweet. It got a little better after sitting in the freezer overnight, but still the cloying sweet aftertaste is these.

Is it supposed to be very sweet? Can I un-sweeten the sorbet I have by adding more water and/or watermelon pure?

Some types of watermelon, like Sugar Babies, have a very high sugar content compared to some of the other kinds. Typically for this recipe we use regular large, seeded watermelons.

Some of the smaller unseeded watermelons are less sweet and thus make better candidates for this sorbet. You can tweak the recipe by adding more lime juice and cutting down on the amount of added syrup and sugar.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Good timing on bringing this thread back up, I've got a watermelon waiting to be turned into something.....

I have a question on the Watermelon Sorbet recipe though. What is meant by: "3 c pureed Watermelon flesh (seeded & strained) "

Is this it: I cut a big hunk of watermelon, it is seedless so no need to seed. Run it through the food processor, and put it in some cheese cloth to drain the liquid. Once drained, I'm looking for 3 cups of the remaining pulp/solid? That seemed strange to me, as I thought I saw other recipes that used the strained liquid and not the remaining pulp.

I have found that the addition of cinammon to watermelon and /or watermelon sorbet adds a nice touch. The flavors really go well together and make it a little more unique.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 3 years later...

I made watermelon sorbet last night/this morning, from a recipe in The Perfect Scoop and it was bland as can be. This is likely my fault. I had some watermelon scrapings and juice left over from creating a watermelon basket and decided to use that watery stuff rather than waste perfectly good watermelon chunks that I'd rather just eat. The result was a watery, not-very-sweet-at-all concoction that scoops well and is very refreshing, but relatively tasteless.

Based on what I just read, however -- particularly from Priscilla about Marcella Hazan -- I wonder if using really sweet, juicy watermelon will really improve my end result unless I add much more than the one tablespoon of lime juice called for in the recipe.

Thoughts, anyone? Is watermelon sorbet really worth it, or should I stick to just eating the watermelon as is?