• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ilfracombe

Good luck Jason! I recall reading a rather bizarre rumour that Damien Hirst was opening a restaurant in Ilfracombe. Perhaps other members can shed some light on this.

the place is or will be named "The Quay". apparently a friend of his will be running the kitchen - doling out mainly fish. i guess taking good advantage of the harbour in front.

there was a recent article on restaurant magazine.

-che

I can really help you here, I visited 2 years ago and stayed for a week so I discovered al the good places!(I've got relatives living here). First of all you jump in your car, drive to Padstow and have lunch at Rick Steins and dinner at Basildogs place before jumping back in your car and driving back to Ilfracombe. :raz:

I'm sceptical about the Damian Hirst Fish and Chip restarant ever opening up, it was being built when I was there 2 years ago, however, I have it on good authority that it is stil happening but is not open yet! Apart from that, We found a Caribbean restaurant that sold OK goat curry. And thats it! A culinary wasteland!

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

How far is Padstow from Ilfracombe, how long would the journey take via automobile? I'm not that interested in Rick's (as all his mates call him) place, but lunch at Basildogs sounds like a possibility. Maybe I could bring the extended Campbell tribe- think the Adams family but with a Welsh accent...

The goat curry sounds just the job for diner, any more details?

According to the AA ...82 miles  ....2 hours

Gosh, It didn't look like it was that far on the map, 2 hours is a fair old trip. Not that I wouldn't love to eat in your restaurant. A quick glance at the rail network suggests that a train journey is out of the question, which is a pity. I guess I'll just have to eat my 'Surf & Turf' and be thankful.

According to the AA ...82 miles ....2 hours

Gosh, It didn't look like it was that far on the map, 2 hours is a fair old trip. Not that I wouldn't love to eat in your restaurant. A quick glance at the rail network suggests that a train journey is out of the question, which is a pity. I guess I'll just have to eat my 'Surf & Turf' and be thankful.

Belive me after a couple of days dining in Ilfracombe a 2 hour drive for some decent food will feel very acceptable :laugh:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"