• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nell's on Greenlake

me and my friend Deb went to Nell's last night for dinner. We've never been, so had no idea what to expect. Its white linen and speigelau stemware and I felt a bit chagrined to show up in jeans and a tee shirt, but hey, this IS Seattle... and they really didn't mind at all. We did the tasting menu, for $47. Its 4 courses, and we added the Saleh calamari to the list because well, we'd also never made it to Saleh al Lago either :hmmm:

The calamari has a paprika/spicy dusting on it and it was cooked perfectly, NOT rubbery at all. It came with a parsley salad and was sprinkled with pan fried capers. Wow, great dish, really yummy. I especially liked the capers, they were just slightly crunchy and some of them had sort of exploded. really great!

Then came halibut on a white bean and chard ragout. This was also a great dish- the halibut pan seared and perfectly cooked and the white bean mixture underneath it all was really tasty.

next was foie gras sitting on top of a poached pear with a sort of bread salad/stuffing underneath it. I can't remember what they called this but it was savory and quite delish. The foie gras with the pear was a great combination.

then there was duck confit :wub: resting on herbed potatoes and asparagus, with an asparagus 'jus'. the asparagus came in paper thin angled slices, really interesting, I've never thought about slicing asparagus this way (obviously done with a mandoline). duck confit is NEVER bad.

dessert: lavender creme brulee with shortbread cookies. Creme brulee now always reminds me of the movie Amelie. (she liked breaking the crust on creme brulee...) Really great but by then we were bursting.

All washed down with a couple of glasses of wine this adventure came to ~$90 each with tip.

I notice they have a couple of bad reviews on Citysearch. Not sure what's going on there but our experience was fabulous.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Sounds like an incredible dinner!

next was foie gras sitting on top of a poached pear with a sort of bread salad/stuffing underneath it. I can't remember what they called this but it was savory and quite delish. The foie gras with the pear was a great combination

That foie gras sounds awesome. I was once had a Foie Gras dish @ Trotters that was paired with Seckel pear and I remember that it was a great pairing! :smile:

Edited by awbrig (log)

Nell's Restaurant. The Chef/owner is Phil Mihalsky. Before coming to Seattle he worked in France and NYC. He started in Seattle at Dahlia Lounge before moving to Marco's Supper Club. From there he opened Nell's. I know Phil to be a very talented chef so I became a small investor despite his restaurant being on the other coast. It's nice to hear such a positive review. I have no doubt it was earned.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The two times I've been to Nell's I've been quite pleased with the food. Not the most prepossessing ambience, but okay. The wine's list's bit shy on continentals, but otherwise pretty smart.

"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." --Dalai Lama