• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1998 Ch. La Gardine C. du Pape

eat2much

I haven't tasted the 1998, but the 1989 is still pretty tight. This is generally not one of your more opulent CDP's - it could still be going through that youthful, open stage, or it might already be shutting down. I'd base this decision on quantity - if I had a bunch, I might try one now, but if I just had a few I would probably hang on for another 5-7 years.

Let us know what you decide.

I'm not going near any '98 CNDP in my cellar for a few years. Several over the last 6 months have had the shades pulled and the lights off.

OTOH, I had a very nice experience with '89 Gardine a few months back.

Hmmmmm,

I guess that this might be a good candidate for what to serve for my 50th birthday (in 8 1/2 years). At least I'm starting to understand those who recommend buying a cellar with more than double the capacity of what you think you need. Either that or stop buying Chateuneuf du Pape (also bought a case of Guigal 1999).

Thanks for the advice. :raz: