• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tempest63

Tempest63

I’ve been a little disappointed with the results of my attempts at cooking a paella in preparation of our tapas nights. Specifically I have been unable to get a decent socorrat using either a 12” cast iron Lodge skillet or a 32 cm Le Creuset paella pan. 
The results of the actual paella have been good. Well cooked and great tasting, comparable in taste and texture to that found at our local tapas bar. However I am hampered by having to use an induction hob for the preparation, which I believe may be why, in conjunction with the thicker bases of my pans, I cannot achieve the desired socorrat.

As I will be cooking two different paellas on the night I thought I would invest in a second paella pan and have ordered a 38cm pan on offer here in the U.K. by Harts of Stur.
https://www.hartsofstur.com/vaello-induction-paella-pan-38cm-pha113.html

I’m not overly confident that this will provide a better final result but at least I can serve two paellas in two paella pans (of a sort).

If this fails I may have to look at a gas fired paella stand with traditional pans, though with summer drawing to a soggy close here in the U.K. that may go on the bucket list until next year.

Tempest63

Tempest63

I’ve been a little disappointed with the results of my attempts at cooking a paella in preparation of our tapas nights. Specifically I have been unable to get a decent socorrat using either a 12” cast iron Lodge skillet or a 32 cm Le Creuset paella pan. 
The results of the actual paella have been good. Well cooked and great tasting, comparable in taste and texture to that found at our local tapas bar. However I am hampered by having to use an induction hob for the preparation, which I believe may be why I cannot achieve the desired socorrat.

As I will be cooking two different paellas on the night I thought I would invest in a second paella pan and have ordered a 38cm pan on offer here in the U.K. by Harts of Stur.
https://www.hartsofstur.com/vaello-induction-paella-pan-38cm-pha113.html

I’m not overly confident that this will provide a better final result but at least I can serve two paellas in two paella pans (of a sort).

If this fails I may have to look at a gas fired paella stand with traditional pans, though with summer drawing to a soggy close here in the U.K. that may go on the bucket list until next year.