• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I had just bought a new jar of white miso when this article popped up on the Guardian this morning extolling the delights of miso in its many forms. Titled "The miso miracle: how to use the ingredient that makes every dish delicious", there's little new for the already converted, but makes a good read just the same.

miso.thumb.jpg.38f299e8e519a48cdc73b3f86379048a.jpg

It is easily available here in all its traditional forms. Not surprising really - it originated in China and was carried to Japan in the 6th century CE.  Unfortunately, I've never found dried bonito, katsuobushi (かつおぶし 鰹節) here and the supply I smuggled back from Japan a while ago is long gone. I can buy powdered dashi soup mix, but I have standards*!

I do use the miso in western and Chinese dishes, though. Especially stir-fries and soups. it is the secret ingredient in my mushrom and seaweed soup which some of my Chinese friends ask me to make.

*Actually, some a few are surprisingly good for what they are.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I had just bought a new jar of white miso when this article popped up on the Guardian this morning extolling the delights of miso in its many forms. Titled "The miso miracle: how to use the ingredient that makes every dish delicious", there's little new for the already converted, but makes a good read just the same.

miso.thumb.jpg.38f299e8e519a48cdc73b3f86379048a.jpg

It is easily available here in all its traditional forms. Not surprising really - it originated in China and was carried to Japan in the 6th century CE.  Unfortunately, I've never found bonito / dashi, katsuobushi (かつおぶし 鰹節) here and the supply I smuggled back from Japan a while ago is long gone. I can buy powdered dashi soup mix, but I have standards*!

I do use the miso in western and Chinese dishes, though. Especially stir-fries and soups. it is the secret ingredient in my mushrom and seaweed soup which some of my Chinese friends ask me to make.

*Actually, some a few are surprisingly good.