• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I first heard of this in the late 1970 / early 80s. It seems to have originated originated during Mao's 'Great Leap Forward'  (1958-1961) during which millions starved to death due to a man-made (Mao-made) famine. People knew it didn't help but maybe took comfort from some psychological effect. Estimates for the fatalities range from 30-55 million. Still in living memory so nothing really to LOL about.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/great-leap-forward.asp

liuzhou

liuzhou

I first heard of this in the late 1970 / early 80s. It seems to have originated originated during Mao's 'Great Leap Forward'  (1958-1961) during which millions starved to death due to a man-made (Mao-made) famine. People knew it didn't help but maybe took comfort from some psychological effect. Estimates for the fatalities range from 30-55 million. Still in living memory so nothing really to LOL about.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I first heard of this many years ago. It seems to have originated originated during Mao's 'Great Leap Forward'  (1958-1961) during which millions starved to death due to a man-made (Mao-made) famine. People knew it didn't help but maybe took comfort from some psychological effect. Estimates for the fatalities range from 30-55 million. Still in living memory so nothing really to LOL about.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I first heard of this many years ago. It seems to have originated originated during Mao's 'Great Leap Forward'  (1958-1961) during which millions starved to death due to a man-made (Mao-made) famine. People knew it didn't help but maybe took comfort from some psychological effect. Estimates for the fatalities range from 30-55 million. Still in living memory so nothing really to LOL about.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I first heard of this many years ago. It seems to have originated originated during Mao's 'Great Leap Forward'  (1958-1962) during which millions starved to death due to a man-made (Mao-made) famine. Estimates for the fatalities range from 35-55 million. Still in living memory so nothing really to LOL about.