• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

There was a recipe on TFL that provided a sourdough flavor by adding acetic and lacid acids.  I wish I kept the bookmark, it was a super easy, bread-machine compatible recipe.  I did find this one looking for it, though I'm not sure that was it, been a long time and the date of that recipe is 2021 (I remember reading in 2016 or 2017).  I'm also not sure how the vinegar would actually work, I have tried it in my pie dough and some dairy-free brownie recipies and never taste any acetic acid.  I'd also be worried about the flour becoming overly extensible.  That said, the dude on that forum has had success so might be worth a shot.  I've got lactic acid powder and plenty of vinegar at home so maybe I'll give this a go and report back.

You can also consider making sourdough bread using yeast-water from something like raisins.  It takes a little bit of prep work, and you'll get the more lactic-acid sourness (e.g. yogurt) and probably no acetic-acid flavors.

jedovaty

jedovaty

There was a recipe on TFL that provided a sourdough flavor by adding acetic and lacid acids.  I wish I kept the bookmark, it was a super easy, bread-machine compatible recipe.  I did find this one looking for it, though I'm not sure that was it, been a long time.  I'm also not sure how the vinegar would actually work, I have tried it in my pie dough and some dairy-free brownie recipies and never taste any acetic acid.  I'd also be worried about the flour becoming overly extensible.  That said, the dude on that forum has had success so might be worth a shot.  I've got lactic acid powder and plenty of vinegar at home so maybe I'll give this a go and report back.

You can also consider making sourdough bread using yeast-water from something like raisins.  It takes a little bit of prep work, and you'll get the more lactic-acid sourness (e.g. yogurt) and probably no acetic-acid flavors.