• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

I don't think we should expect them to do anything.  But I do think that we'll be more likely to, to put it crassly, consume their content, if it is more relevant to our situation.

I think one of the factors that got Jamie Oliver into trouble here is the fact that in the UK, energy costs are through the roof.  As an American, I don't even factor in energy costs when cooking a meal.

But eggs, for instance, have tripled in price over the last couple of years.

So yeah, I really am interested in frugal cooking.  Historically, some of the best dishes have come out of the lowest classes.  Using the cheapest cuts to the best effect.  That is the best form of cooking.

IndyRob

IndyRob

I don't think we should expect them to do anything.  But I do think that we'll be more likely to, to put it crassly, consume their content, if it is more relevant to our situation.

I think one of the factors that got Jamie Oliver into trouble here is the fact that in the UK, energy costs are through the roof.  As an American, I don't even factor in energy costs when cooking a meal.

But eggs, for instance, have tripled in price over the last couple of years.

So yeah, I really am interested in frugal cooking.  Historically, some of the best dishes have come out of the lowest classes.