• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

This past week has been a holiday for most people in China and it seems that 90% of the 1.4 billion population has crowded into Liuzhou!

With crowds drawn by Luosifen initially, the city has become a wider gastronomic destination. People are piling in everywhere with long lines and waits of up to two hours outside most of the hundreds of luosifen shops.

All over Chinese social media are videos of people lining up to sample the delights of rice noodles in snail broth. The snails are moving faster than the lines.

The line outside my favourite, near my home, is now one of the longest and the locals' gruntle is decidedly dissed. We can't get our own food anymore!

Screenshot_20240216_174705_com.tencent.mm_edit_181171716973396.thumb.jpg.ff8c06b18ff8537d6abfebe1fc12ce6c.jpg

Above is about 1/16th of the line. The shop has seating for 8 people.

But it's worse than that.

青云 (qīng yún) means 'clear sky' but is also the name of the city's oldest and largest street market and one of my favourite haunts.

Over the last week it has turned into purgatory.

Thousands of tourist sheep are cramming themselves into the narrow streets in search of 'authentic' Guangxi street food. 

Screenshot_20240215_212148_com.tencent.mm_edit_164979334912846.thumb.jpg.9236ab2ab337b9eb5f473724548a498c.jpg

No one can do their regular shopping there anymore.

Hopefully, they'll all go home this weekend, but perhaps not.

🔥🔥🔥

liuzhou

liuzhou

This past week has been a holiday for most people in China and it seems that 90% of the 1.4 billion population has crowded into Liuzhou!

With crowds drawn by Luosifen initially, the city has become a wider gastronomic destination. People are piling in everywhere with long lines and waits of up to two hours outside most of the hundreds of luosifen shops.

The line outside my favourite is now one of the longest and the locals' gruntle is decidedly dissed. We can't get our own food anymore!

Screenshot_20240216_174705_com.tencent.mm_edit_181171716973396.thumb.jpg.ff8c06b18ff8537d6abfebe1fc12ce6c.jpg

This is about 1/10th of the line. The shop has seating for 8 people.

青云 (qīng yún) means 'clear sky' but is also the name of the city's oldest and largest street market and one of my favourite haunts.

Thousands of tourist sheep are cramming themselves into the narrow streets in search of 'authentic' Guangxi street food. 

Screenshot_20240215_212148_com.tencent.mm_edit_164979334912846.thumb.jpg.9236ab2ab337b9eb5f473724548a498c.jpg

🔥🔥🔥

liuzhou

liuzhou

With crowds drawn by Luosifen initially, the city has become a wider gastronomic destination. People are piling in everywhere with long lines and waits of up to two hours outside most of the hundreds of Luosifen shops.

The line outside my favourite is now one of the longest and the locals' gruntle is decidedly dissed. We can't get our own food anymore!

🔥🔥🔥

liuzhou

liuzhou

With crowds drawn by Luosifen initially, the city has become a wider gastronomic destination. People are piling in everywhere with long lines and waits outside most of the hundreds of Luosifen shops.

But it's worse than that. 青云 (qīng yún) means 'clear sky' but is also the name of the city's oldest and largest street market and one of my favourite haunts.

🔥🔥🔥