• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

typo

I had not given much thought to the climate impact of passive gas leakage from appliances that aren't powered on.  I've got a gas cooktop, gas furnace, gas clothes dryer and 2 gas-fired hot water heaters, all quite standard in this area.  I don't have any sort of ventilation hood, which would probably benefit my indoor environment!

Any larger environmental benefits of switching to electric are certainly going to depend on the source of the electric power.  In California, it's fairly clean.  Not so much where it's generated by burning coal. 

I was listening to a radio program on this issue yesterday. One of the callers pointed out that during our increasingly frequent, days-long public safety power shut-offs (to enable the power companies to avoid liability for wind-driven wildfires), she can still use her gas stove to cook and feed her family and asked when the electric utility would provide better stability.  No one answered her question.  Doesn't matter how clean the energy source is if it's unreliable.

Long term, I'd like to upgrade my electric service and rewire the house so I can switch to electric appliances, upgrade my rooftop solar to power them and add storage batteries to provide at least a moderate level of power during those shut-offs.  That'll be $$$ and I'm not wild about the environmental impact of present-day batteries but hope by the time I've got the money, they'll be better. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I had not given much thought to the climate impact of passive gas leakage from appliances that aren't powered on.  I've got a gas cooktop, gas furnace, gas clothes dryer and 2 gas-fired hot water heaters, all quite standard in this area.  I don't have any sort of ventilation hood, which would probably benefit my indoor environment!

Any larger environmental benefits of switching to electric are certainly going to depend on the source of the electric power.  In California, it's fairly clean.  Not so much were it's generated by burning coal. 

I was listening to a radio program on this issue yesterday. One of the callers pointed out that during our increasingly frequent, days-long public safety power shut-offs (to enable the power companies to avoid liability for wind-driven wildfires), she can still use her gas stove to cook and feed her family and asked when the electric utility would provide better stability.  No one answered her question.  Doesn't matter how clean the energy source is if it's unreliable.

Long term, I'd like to upgrade my electric service and rewire the house so I can switch to electric appliances, upgrade my rooftop solar to power them and add storage batteries to provide at least a moderate level of power during those shut-offs.  That'll be $$$ and I'm not wild about the environmental impact of present-day batteries but hope by the time I've got the money, they'll be better.