• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Sid Post

Sid Post

2 hours ago, cdh said:

Maybe widen your horizons to fusili bucati as a possible shape for your purposes? Hollow like bucatini and such, but shaped like telephone cords. 

Fusilli Bucati look interesting.  I have tried the braid and various twists which work pretty well in salads and soups but, with sauces I find them a bit irksome on the plate.  Farfalle, shells, and elbows also work pretty well for something like Mac'n'Cheese.  Cavatapi (sp?) is one I tried once in some soup which was a fun shape but, a bit messy with the soup.

I'm looking for a noodle to work better on a plate with a thin sauce.  For more meat based sauces, I like a heavier noodle.  The "hollow spaghetti" shape looks like a good choice for this application, though short hollow spirals might be a good option too.

Sid Post

Sid Post

2 hours ago, cdh said:

Maybe widen your horizons to fusili bucati as a possible shape for your purposes? Hollow like bucatini and such, but shaped like telephone cords. 

Fusilli Bucati look interesting.  I have tried the braid and various twists which work pretty well in salads and soups but, with sauces I find them a bit irksome on the plate.  Farfalle, shells, and elbows also work pretty well for something like Mac'n'Cheese.  Cavatapi (sp?) is one I tried once in some soup which was a fun shape but, bit messy with the soup.

I'm looking for a noodle to work better on a plate with a thin sauce.  For more meat based sauces, I like a heavier noodle.  The "hollow spaghetti" shape looks like a good choice for this application, though short hollow spirals might be a good option too.