• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paul o' vendange

paul o' vendange

Hello, doing a capon for Christmas Eve and looking around.  I really like Georges Blanc's Le Grand Livre de la Volaille, and he's got several nice ideas in there.  I'm also flipping through my Larousse - 

I have 3 editions. 1961 (English), 1984 (French) and 2001 (English) - and recall an old thread I recently happened upon in which member Bouland, if I recall correctly, didn't have a lot of good things to say about the English translations.  He makes reference to a French 2000 edition, currently on my cart. 

Without two editions back-to-back to compare (e.g., same edition, just French-English releases), I don't know the state of translations across the years - i.e., my two English versions.  Anyone with insight on this?  Anyone have the 2000 French version, and if so, thoughts?

I should note what seems to me to be an oddity:  the 2000 English version has a capon recipe which is actually Blanc's, from the above-mentioned book: Chapon poché et rôti  au gratin de potiron.  The Larousse version varies very slightly in ingredients and temps (e.g., 50 g butter v. 60 in the Blanc recipe on roasting the bird, 220 v. 200C after 30 minutes), and a bit more thorough in the steps, but it's otherwise the same recipe.  I don't see that Blanc is listed as a contributor.  Have I missed something?

paul o' vendange

paul o' vendange

Hello, doing a capon for Christmas Eve and looking around.  I really like Georges Blanc's Le Grand Livre de la Volaille, and he's got several nice ideas in there.  I'm also flipping through my Larousse - 

I have 3 editions of Larousse - 1961 (English), 1984 (French) and 2001 (English) - and recall an old thread I recently happened upon in which member Bouland, if I recall correctly, didn't have a lot of good things to say about the English translations.  He makes reference to a French 2000 edition, currently on my cart. 

Without two editions back-to-back to compare (e.g., same edition, just French-English releases), I don't know the state of translations across the years - i.e., my two English versions.  Anyone with insight on this?  Anyone have the 2000 French version, and if so, thoughts?

I should note what seems to me to be an oddity:  the 2000 English version has a capon recipe which is actually Blanc's, from the above-mentioned book: Chapon poché et rôti  au gratin de potiron.  The Larousse version varies very slightly in ingredients and temps (e.g., 50 g butter v. 60 in the Blanc recipe on roasting the bird, 220 v. 200C after 30 minutes), and a bit more thorough in the steps, but it's otherwise the same recipe.  I don't see that Blanc is listed as a contributor.  Have I missed something?