• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

16 minutes ago, cdh said:

Hamburger steaks are news to me... Not a thing in the part of Pennsylvania I live in, nor were they a thing in NYC, nor were they a thing in Austin... I presume they're a patty of ground meat served with a steak-y sauce and no bun.  Or are they a pummeled-rather-than-ground meat thing that gets turned into a "Swiss Steak" round abouts where I live? 

In my ken, they were a mid-Century diner food, aka Salisbury steak    A larger than bunned portion of ground beef, oblong, served as part of a main plate, with or without gravy.    Well done.    Maybe still available as a frozen dinner entree.  

1242016956_ScreenShot2021-05-21at6_10_23PM.png.d8af5e7292c6410fdf817f90c48c832e.png

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

13 minutes ago, cdh said:

Hamburger steaks are news to me... Not a thing in the part of Pennsylvania I live in, nor were they a thing in NYC, nor were they a thing in Austin... I presume they're a patty of ground meat served with a steak-y sauce and no bun.  Or are they a pummeled-rather-than-ground meat thing that gets turned into a "Swiss Steak" round abouts where I live? 

In my ken, they were a mid-Century diner food.    A larger than bunned portion of ground beef, oblong, served as part of a main plate, with or without gravy.    Well done.    Maybe still available as a frozen dinner entree.