• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

I was raised in such a large extended family that we had several breakfast dishes mornings. My grandpa often got up earlly and had breakfast in the kitchen with one or more of my uncles or great uncles, the farm manager (crops) the vet and an occasional visitor.  The rest of us had breakfast in the breakfast room with food in chafers that kept the food warm.

The cook made grits, oatmeal, semolina porridge and sometimes toasted buckwheat porridge (buckwheat was grown on the farm as a "cover crop" that was plowed under to replenish the soil where tobacco had been grown for years but some of it was allowed to mature and was harvested to make bread, quick breads, pancakes.)

She toasted the buckwheat in a big skillet before putting it through the grain mill the evening before, soaked it overnight and cooked it in the morning.  

We had other things, biscuits, bacon, sausage, eggs, toast, gravy and I am making myself hungry.

We had hand-cranked "flakers" for whole grains.  I still have one and it still works just fine, when I have the energy to use it.

andiesenji

andiesenji

I was raised in such a large extended family that we had several breakfast dishes mornings. My grandpa often got up earlly and had breakfast in the kitchen with one or more of my uncles or great uncles, the farm manager (crops) the vet and an occasional visitor.  

The cook made grits, oatmeal, semolina porridge and sometimes toasted buckwheat porridge (buckwheat was grown on the farm as a "cover crop" that was plowed under to replenish the soil where tobacco had been grown for years but some of it was allowed to mature and was harvested to make bread, quick breads, pancakes.)

She toasted the buckwheat in a big skillet before putting it through the grain mill the evening before, soaked it overnight and cooked it in the morning.  

We had other things, biscuits, bacon, sausage, eggs, toast, gravy and I am making myself hungry.

We had hand-cranked "flakers" for whole grains.  I still have one and it still works just fine, when I have the energy to use it.