• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

mudbug

mudbug

"I’m originally from Hong Kong, and my grandma and mom both steam their chickens for 白切雞. They salt the outside and inside, and steam. For a prettier chicken you can rub salt over the skin in a circular motion to exfoliate the skin first. Then we either use a ice bath or rub sesame oil over the chicken for aroma.

The poached chicken meat is more tender and soft. Steaming + ice bath makes the meat and skin more bouncy and chewy, which is my preference.

We have never served the chicken pink - with the ice bath the breasts are fully cooked and still juicy. I think part of it is using a chicken which isn’t too big - we normally buy a free range chicken for 白切雞."

Three generations of home cooking experience. I trust that.

mudbug

mudbug

A reply from a different forum:

"I’m originally from Hong Kong, and my grandma and mom both steam their chickens for 白切雞. They salt the outside and inside, and steam. For a prettier chicken you can rub salt over the skin in a circular motion to exfoliate the skin first. Then we either use a ice bath or rub sesame oil over the chicken for aroma.

The poached chicken meat is more tender and soft. Steaming + ice bath makes the meat and skin more bouncy and chewy, which is my preference.

We have never served the chicken pink - with the ice bath the breasts are fully cooked and still juicy. I think part of it is using a chicken which isn’t too big - we normally buy a free range chicken for 白切雞."

Three generations of home cooking experience. I trust that.