• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pipli?

Adam Balic

The poor waif was the victum of a classist and patriarcal society. Damn men.

She seemed to do pretty well for a victum. (:wink:) Although it's true her ambition was greatly helped by her celebrated beauty - damn men:

rombacc.jpg

She died in poverty after the deaths of Nelson and William Hamilton.

Samuel - yes her job finished. In this free market economy what do you expect, charity?

• 1 year later...
I am trying to make a collection of spices etc. that would have been used historically in European cooking. I have just found out that one of these spices "long pepper", while un-known in Europe for hundreds of years, is still used in some Indian cooking. In hindi it is known as "Pipli".

Would there be any chance of getting this spice in the UK (from an Indian food store) or via the web do you think?

Adam,

So did you manage to get it ?

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

I am trying to make a collection of spices etc. that would have been used historically in European cooking. I have just found out that one of these spices "long pepper", while un-known in Europe for hundreds of years, is still used in some Indian cooking. In hindi it is known as "Pipli".

Would there be any chance of getting this spice in the UK (from an Indian food store) or via the web do you think?

Adam,

So did you manage to get it ?

Sorry, I missed this.

Yep, I got them. They are great, aroma of regular black pepper corns with warm spices (cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg) added. The are described as being hotter then regular pepper and while I would agree with this I would have to say that the 'heat' is more in the style of sichuan peppercorns, numbing, not hotting.

Have used them in a few dishes (pilaw/terrines/stews etc), but and on steak and also to season roast chicken.

Good stuff.

:laugh: I have not yet.. that is why i have a cartload

Same here. I bought some at Kalustyan's about a year ago....I stare at them every now and then, but nothing happens. Maybe adding one to a plain pulao along with tejpatta, cloves, cinnamon and elaichi would be good way to try them and to use them up..

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com