• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

IHOP

Toliver

IHOP, formally known as the International House of Pancakes, is entering the fast food restaurant genre:

"IHOP introduces new restaurant, Flip’d by IHOP, with faster service and Pancake Bowls"

IHOP is launching its first fast-casual restaurant in Atlanta next year.

The Dine Brands’ chain will launch Flip’d by IHOP in April. IHOP is also exploring additional sites in New York, Washington, D.C., Denver, Chicago and San Francisco. IHOP’s President Jay Johns said he thinks the chain will be open several more locations in 2020.

Flip’d is IHOP’s answer to consumer demand in dense cities. A Flip’d restaurant is about half of the size of a typical IHOP, with less seating and no wait staff to take orders, according to Johns. Customers can order their food via a digital kiosk or move through assembly line at the counter. Online ordering for pick-up or delivery will also be available as part of an effort to keep growing IHOP’s off-premise business.

How nice of them to pre-abbreviate the name for all of the texters out there.:cool:

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 months later...

In Florida, most of the IHOP customers were *profoundly* elderly: Wide spaces between booths were handy for canes, large print on menus, a 24-hour availability (for those who arose at 04:00) and lots of overhead lighting for dim eyesight made it a safe place to take my 90-year old MIL to.

She would have been completely annoyed by having to stand while placing her order.

I wonder if the soundtrack for the restaurant will reach beyong 2010?  

• Like 1