• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

spennie

spennie

7 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I would say that depends on what you plan to use it for. At 1.5 HP it should handle an airbrush, but not an HVLP gun. If you are considering purchasing with an eye toward future needs (a constant theme with confectioners--considering the numerous eGullet mentions of equipment we all have that we have "outgrown"), I would try to get a more powerful one. As I wrote recently, my 2 HP compressor does not run a mini-HVLP gun satisfactorily. If I were doing it over, I would get at least a 3 HP, perhaps even more.  You may be using an airbrush now, but are you completely certain your production will never rise to the point at which you will need to switch to a gun?

A very fair comment Jim .Would love to know what most commercial companies run .Say like the Chocolate lab .Thank you your feed back is always appreciated 

spennie

spennie

7 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I would say that depends on what you plan to use it for. At 1.5 HP it should handle an airbrush, but not an HVLP gun. If you are considering purchasing with an eye toward future needs (a constant theme with confectioners--considering the numerous eGullet mentions of equipment we all have that we have "outgrown"), I would try to get a more powerful one. As I wrote recently, my 2 HP compressor does not run a mini-HVLP gun satisfactorily. If I were doing it over, I would get at least a 3 HP, perhaps even more.  You may be using an airbrush now, but are you completely certain your production will never rise to the point at which you will need to switch to a gun?

A very fair comment Jim .Would love to know what most commercial companies run .Say like the Chocolate lab .Thank you your feed back is always appreciated