• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

I'd agree - from what I've read (and the look of what's in the refrigerator), the Shaoxing is aged, which develops flavors and color (like many Sherry - just not fino).  Sake is not typically aged, hence why it is clear.  Also, I can't find any reliable info about Shaoxing's abv, but sake is quite high - about 15-20%.

Edit: sake is not typically aged in containers that would impart flavors or colors, like oak barrels...

KennethT

KennethT

I'd agree - from what I've read (and the look of what's in the refrigerator), the Shaoxing is aged, which develops flavors and color (like many Sherry - just not fino).  Sake is not typically aged, hence why it is clear.  Also, I can't find any reliable info about Shaoxing's abv, but sake is quite high - about 15-20%.