• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

14 hours ago, Smithy said:

I was going to ask whether the good bread in Vietnam was due to the French influence, but it apparently isn't that simple. Is the bread in Vietnam generally better than in China, or only in some larger cities like Hanoi and Saigon/HCMC?

Yes, there is undoubtedly a French influence, but it has been somewhat adapted. I have found good bread most places in Vietnam, not only the major cities.

Bread in China is almost non-existent. What they call bread is usually cake, so far as I am concerned. Most of it is also steamed rather than baked.

8 hours ago, heidih said:

Not really. The Vietnamese baguettes don't survive the day - you could injure someone with a bonk over the head by next morning. They are baked for same day consumption.

Same in France.

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

I was going to ask whether the good bread in Vietnam was due to the French influence, but it apparently isn't that simple. Is the bread in Vietnam generally better than in China, or only in some larger cities like Hanoi and Saigon/HCMC?

Yes, there is undoubtedly a French influence, but it has been somewhat adapted. I have found good bread most places in Vietnam, not only the major cities.

Bread in China is almost non-existent. What they call bread is usually cake, so far as am concerned. Most of it is also steamed rather than baked.

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Not really. The Vietnamese baguettes don't survive the day - you could injure someone with a bonk over the head by next morning. They are baked for same day consumption.

Same in France.