• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

scott123

scott123

24 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I used to use gallon twist tie bags a lot.  Then the local grocery store stopped selling them in favor of much more expensive plastic bags.  Haven't yet checked with amazon.

Were they baggies? My shoprite used to have sales on those about 3 times a year where they'd be 99 cents a box.  At one point, I had about 25 boxes.  But then they discontinued them and only offer the private label for 1.99 for 75- and these NEVER go on sale.  If doubling the price was bad enough, the new bags are narrower/taller (10" wide rather than the 11.5" they used to be), so they're exponentially harder to get food into. A new Wegmans opened near me so I checked their offerings. Identical bag, identical price :( 

I haven't gone this route yet, because you have to commit to a large amount, and I'm not sure that thinner bags work for my needs (or the material), but the Webstaurant store offers large rolls of produce bags.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/inteplast-group-phnonp20ns-12-x-20-plastic-side-print-produce-bag-on-a-roll-4-case/130PB1220.html

With shipping, these are a penny a bag, and they're 12" wide.  But you have to buy a huge amount (3500 bags) and you have to store them.  Each roll is going to be pretty large as well, so it won't fit in a drawer.

scott123

scott123

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I used to use gallon twist tie bags a lot.  Then the local grocery store stopped selling them in favor of much more expensive plastic bags.  Haven't yet checked with amazon.

Were they baggies? My shoprite used to have sales on those about 3 times a year where they'd be 99 cents a box.  At one point, I had about 25 boxes.  But then they discontinued them and only offer the private label for 1.99 for 75- and these NEVER go on sale.  If doubling the price was bad enough, the new bags are narrower/taller, so they're exponentially harder to get food into. A new Wegmans opened near me so I checked their offerings. Identical bag, identical price :( 

I haven't gone this route yet, because you have to commit to a large amount, and I'm not sure that thinner bags work for my needs (or the material), but the Webstaurant store offers large rolls of produce bags.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/inteplast-group-phnonp20ns-12-x-20-plastic-side-print-produce-bag-on-a-roll-4-case/130PB1220.html

With shipping, these are a penny a bag, and they're 12" wide.  But you have to buy a huge amount (3500 bags) and you have to store them.  Each roll is going to be pretty large as well, so it won't fit in a drawer.