• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

typos

A couple of days ago, I soaked some dried cèpes and matsutake mushrooms to use in a dish for dinner. The soaking liquid was strained through muslin and popped into the freezer alongside more of the same from earlier.

Yesterday, I dug both out and used it to braise a chopped up oxtail. Some garlic and an onion went in, too. After around six hours slowly cooking. I separated the remaining stock from the meat, bones, veg etc. The stock/braising liquid went into the fridge overnight in one bowl and so did the solids, in another.

This morning I scraped the bulk of the fat from on top of the jellied stock, then separated the meat from the bones while discarding vegetation. The meat fell off the bones if I so much as gave it a withering glance.

The meat went back into the pot along with the de-fatted stock and one large ice cube of red wine. Salt and generous amounts of pepper were added and the lot brought back to a boil. Topped with some chopped Chinese chives. Served with Chinese flatbread (the only bread I have at the moment. There is some proofing at the moment. It will be in the oven in half an hour. Too late for lunch).

oxtail soup1.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

typos

A couple of days ago, I soaked some dried cèpes and matsutake mushrooms to use in a dish for dinner. The soaking liquid was strained through muslin and popped into the freezer alongside more of the same from earlier.

Yesterday, I dug both out and used it to braise a chopped up oxtail. Some garlic and an onion went in, too. After around six hours slowly cooking. I separated the remaining stock from the meat, bones, veg etc. The stock/braising liquid went into the fridge overnight in one bowl and so did the solids, in another.

This morning I scraped the bulk of the fat from on top of the jellied stock, then separated the meat from the bones while discarding vegetation. The meat fell off the bones if I so much as gave it a withering glance.

The meat went back into the pot along with the de-fatted stock and one large ice cube of red wine. Salt and generous amounts of pepper were added and the lot brought back to a boil. Served with Chinese flatbread (the only bread I have at the moment. There is some proofing at the moment. It will be in the oven in half an hour. Too late for lunch).

oxtail soup1.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

Yesterday, I dug it out and used it to braise a chopped up oxtail. Some garlic and an onion went in, too. After around six hours slowly cooking. I separated the remaining stock from the meat, bones, veg etc. The stock/braising liquid went into the fridge overnight in one bowl and so did the solids, in another.

This morning I scraped the bulk of the fat from on top of the jellied stock, then separated the meat from the bones and while discarding vegetation. The meat fell off the bones if I so much as gave it a withering glance.

The meat went back into the pot along with the stock and one large ice cube of red wine. Salt and generous amounts of pepper were added and the lot brought back to a boil. Served with Chinese flatbread (the only bread I have at the moment. There is some proofing at the moment. It will be in the oven in half an hour. Too late for lunch).

oxtail soup1.jpg