• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Captain, I think only in North America the portion is huge.

KayB: I have been eating and drinking 3 times my capacity, without exercise whatsoever, few fruits and vegs. But I'm on holiday... will deal with it when I am home again. I have a disciplined gym-pool routine 5 days a week, eat little meat, lots of vegs and fruits (my downfall is cheese and beer!). Five weeks ago I was fit and muscular... Notice the past tense. Hah!

--------------------

And today's lunch was another smoked meat sandwich just to compare. It was across the street from Schwartz's. No wonder Schwartz's gets all the business.

Cq7SLpI.jpg

And just before that... baked bean in lard. If you don't like fat you would hate this.

6K5LQ0J.jpg

I would have made it with Speck. Perhaps most people in Europe would, too. The bean dish is the best thing this place is known for.

x6OKXtV.jpg

The tiny restaurant is a kind of greasy spoon diner. The food they serve is the kind your (grand) mum makes (when you were a child).

tITPiSF.jpg

A few tiny tables and a counter.

amaYKM7.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

KayB: I have been eating and drinking 3 times my capacity, without exercise whatsoever, few fruits and vegs. But I'm on holiday... will deal with it when I am home again. (I have a disciplined gym-pool routine 5 days a week, eat little meat, lots of vegs and fruits. Five weeks ago I was fit and muscular... Notice the past tense. Hah!)

--------------------

And today's lunch was another smoked meat sandwich just to compare. It was across the street from Schwartz's. No wonder Schwartz's gets all the business.

Cq7SLpI.jpg

And just before that... baked bean in lard. If you don't like fat you would hate this.

6K5LQ0J.jpg

I would have made it with Speck. Perhaps most people in Europe would, too. The bean dish is the best thing this place is known for.

x6OKXtV.jpg

The tiny restaurant is a kind of greasy spoon diner. The food they serve is the kind your (grand) mum makes (when you were a child).

tITPiSF.jpg

amaYKM7.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

KayB: I have been eating and drinking 3 times my capacity, without exercise whatsoever, few fruits and vegs. But I'm on holiday... will deal with it when I am home again. (I have a disciplined gym-pool routine 5 days a week, eat little meat, lots of vegs and fruits.)

--------------------

Cq7SLpI.jpg

6K5LQ0J.jpg

x6OKXtV.jpg

The tinty restaurant is a kind of greasy spoon diner. The food they serve is the kind your (grand) mum makes (when you were a child).

tITPiSF.jpg

amaYKM7.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

^^ Captain, I think only in North America the portion is huge.

On top of this I have been eating and drinking 3 times my capacity, without exercise whatsoever, few fruits and vegs. But I'm on holiday... will deal with it when I am home again. (I have a disciplined gym-pool routine 5 days a week, eat little meat, lots of vegs and fruits.)

--------------------

Cq7SLpI.jpg

6K5LQ0J.jpg

x6OKXtV.jpg

The tinty restaurant is a kind of greasy spoon diner. The food they serve is the kind your (grand) mum makes (when you were a child).

tITPiSF.jpg

amaYKM7.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

^^ Captain, I think only in North America the portion is huge.

On top of this I have been eating and drinking 3 times my capacity, without exercise whatsoever, few fruits and vegs. But I'm on holiday... will deal with it when I am home again. (I have a disciplined gym-pool routine 5 days a week, eat little meat, lots of vegs and fruits.)

--------------------

Cq7SLpI.jpg

I would have made it with Speck. Most people in Europe would, too.

6K5LQ0J.jpg