• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Back in Winnipeg after 48 hours straight in the train. I was supposed to arrive around 5pm but there was a broke-down train on the same track in the middle of nowhere and thus we had to sit still (also in the middle of nowhere) and wait til they moved it out of the way.

This train and the food is a bit less "nice" than the Toronto-Vancouver train. But it's OK. My travel companion and I are the only 2 persons in carriages with private compartments and private sleepers who are not pensioners and the elderly on organised tours. Needless to say they were most curious about us. You sit with different people at a different table at every meal and they have many questions for you. Very stressful if you are an extreme introvert like me. 

Food options are limited. Half of the menu is burgers and sandwiches.

Ng9FGwQ.jpg

4p0eRsp.jpg

Fruits are in syrup, unfortunately for me. I had a bite of the butter tart but my teeth melted straight away and fell sick (extremely low sugar threshold).

rycNXQy.jpg

Scenery is different than from Toronto to Winnipeg. It was warm coming from Toronto.

JT9lzJi.jpg

A 2 hour stop in a one horse town.

mewIY0J.jpg

mhdmtD8.jpg

kzLjsLz.jpg

qRRuvy6.jpg

My travel companion ate it all.

nKOzYAi.jpg

There is still some snow seen in the trees in this photo. After that there was no more.

Wq8FUyW.jpg

fZaGuN2.jpg

YdTUb4f.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

Back in Winnipeg after 48 hours straight in the train. I was supposed to arrive around 5pm but there was a broke-down train on the same track in the middle of nowhere and thus we had to sit still (also in the middle of nowhere) and wait til they moved it out of the way.

This train and the food is a bit less "nice" than the Toronto-Vancouver train. But it's OK. My travel companion and I are the only 2 persons in carriages with private compartments and private sleepers who are not pensioners and the elderly on organised tours. Needless to say they were most curious about us. You sit with different people at a different table at every meal and they have many questions for you. Very stressful if you are an extreme introvert like me. 

Ng9FGwQ.jpg

4p0eRsp.jpg

Fruits are in syrup, unfortunately for me. I had a bite of the butter tart but my teeth melted straight away ad fell sick (extremely low sugar threshold).

rycNXQy.jpg

Scenery is different than from Toronto to Winnipeg. It was warm coming from Toronto.

JT9lzJi.jpg

mewIY0J.jpg

mhdmtD8.jpg

kzLjsLz.jpg

qRRuvy6.jpg

nKOzYAi.jpg

There is still some snow seen in the trees in this photo. After that there was no more.

Wq8FUyW.jpg

fZaGuN2.jpg

YdTUb4f.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

This train and the food is a bit less "nice" than the Toronto-Vancouver train. But it's OK. My travel companion and I are the only 2 persons in carriages with private compartments and private sleepers who are not pensioners and the elderly on organised tours. Needless to say they were most curious about us. You sit with different people at the same table at every meal and they have many questions for you. Very stressful if you are an extreme introvert like me. 

Ng9FGwQ.jpg

4p0eRsp.jpg

4p0eRsp.jpg

Ng9FGwQ.jpg

4p0eRsp.jpg

Fruits are in syrup, unfortunately for me. I had a bite of the butter tart but my teeth melted directly (extremely low sugar threshold).

rycNXQy.jpg

JT9lzJi.jpg

mewIY0J.jpg

mhdmtD8.jpg

kzLjsLz.jpg

qRRuvy6.jpg

nKOzYAi.jpg

Wq8FUyW.jpg

fZaGuN2.jpg

YdTUb4f.jpg