• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

12 hours ago, liuzhou said:

However, I was looking for something specific to carp roe.

Ah, OK.

How about taramasalata, traditionally done with carp roe,* I believe?

I don't know for sure but I might think carp roe could be treated much the same way as cod roe?

When I was growing up I liked curried fish roe (that looked much like cod roe, or like what you show) in thickish sauces prepared by the various Mamak & South Indian curry houses in the place I grew up in. It was one of the few ways I liked it as a youth. Simply deep-fried was another way (or pan-fried, as my mother did), plated w/ aromatics and leafy herbs etc and/or something like fried garlic or shallots, eaten w/ other stuff & veggies & rice etc in the course of a meal.

*ETA: Although you'll need to cure/salt and/or smoke the roe first.

huiray

huiray

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Ah, OK.

How about taramasalata, traditionally done with carp roe, I believe?

I don't know for sure but I might think carp roe could be treated much the same way as cod roe?

When I was growing up I liked curried fish roe (that looked much like cod roe, or like what you show) in thickish sauces prepared by the various Mamak & South Indian curry houses in the place I grew up in. It was one of the few ways I liked it as a youth. Simply deep-fried was another way (or pan-fried, as my mother did), plated w/ aromatics and leafy herbs etc and/or something like fried garlic or shallots, eaten w/ other stuff & veggies & rice etc in the course of a meal.

huiray

huiray

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Ah, OK.

How about taramasalata, traditionally done with carp roe, I believe?

When I was growing up I liked curried fish roe (that looked much like cod roe, or like what you show) in thickish sauces prepared by the various Mamak curry houses in the place I grew up in. It was one of the few ways I liked it as a youth. Simply deep-fried was another way, eaten w/ other stuff & veggies & rice etc in the course of a meal.