• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

In a moment of utter madness, I picked up this 600g fish ovary in one of the local supermarkets (which doesn't sell fish!) I strongly suspect it is carp; certainly a fresh water fish.

IMG_2171.jpg

Only when I got home did I think "What the heck do I do with this, then?"

I am no fisherman and though I've often eaten caviare, salmon roe, cod roe, lumpfish and crab roe etc., etc., But, I've never prepared it from scratch. and I've never knowingly eaten carp roe.

So, if you can please help a roe rookie. What would you do with this?

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

In a moment of utter madness, I picked up this 600g fish ovary in one of the local supermarkets (which doesn't sell fish!) I strongly suspect it is carp; certainly a fresh water fish.

IMG_2171.jpg

Only when I got home did I think "What the heck do I do with this, then?"

I am no fisherman and though I've often eaten caviare it was, salmon roe, cod roe, lumpfish and crab roe etc., etc., But, I've never prepared it from scratch. and I've never knowingly eaten carp roe.

So, if you can please help a roe rookie. What would you do with this?

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg