• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Australian Sensations

jbrbacchus

Greetings everyone. My name is John Roesch, and I'm the Wine Director of a retail wine shop in New York City called PJ Wine. We're having a few wine dinners coming up in the next few months in Manhattan that I thought would be of interest to many of you. (I checked with the site administrators, prior to posting this to get their approval) Our first dinner of 2003 is the following:

Join PJ Wine for an exclusive dinner with Australia’s brilliant winemaker Sparky Marquis at Tribeca Grill on Tuesday February 11, 2002

Australia continues to impress with vintage after vintage of world-class wines. Sparky and Sarah Marquis stand at the head of their class, and have established a reputation as the reigning king and queen of the cool climate of Pathaway with their remarkable Parson’s Flat and Henry’s Drive wines. Adding to their renown is their new partnership venture Marquis Philips, which debuted to outstanding reviews with the 2000 vintage–and the 2001’s are even better.

According to Robert Parker: "Marquis Philips is the most exciting wine project to emerge from Australia, and perhaps the New World, in the last year. Run, don't walk …secure as much as you can of these wines." To help you share in this excitement we are proud to be capping off this extraordinary evening with the extremely limited and highly allocated 2001 Marquis Philips Integrity (Robert Parker 99 pts.).

Be sure not to miss these Australian Sensations at this exclusive PJ Wine Dinner.

Call or Email today to reserve your place.

Where: Tribeca Grill, 375 Greenwich Street (Franklin Street)

When: Tuesday, February 11th 7:00 pm

Cost: $150.00 per person

RSVP: info@pjwine.com or 212.567.5500

Featuring Wines Imported by the Grateful Palate

Marquis Philips Holly's Blend 2002

"100% Verdejo…textured, intense, and fruit driven…refreshing and light on its feet"

—Robert Parker 88 pts.

Parson's Flat 2001

"…graceful yet big…a seamlessness that characterizes the Marquis wines."

—Robert Parker on the 2000

Marquis Philips Cabernet Sauvignon S2 2001

"…Dense opulent and expansive, and full bodied."

—Robert Parker, 93 pts.

Shirvington Cabernet Sauvignon 2001

Recipient of this year’s Bushing King award for best McLaren Vale wine.

Henry's Drive Shiraz Reserve 2001

"This is what 'pleasure' drinking is all about…"

—Robert Parker on the 2000

Marquis Philips Integrity 2001

"…virtually perfect. Dense, with thrilling levels of concentration."

—Robert Parker, 99 pts.

PJ Wine—Extraordinary Wines, Exceptional Prices

PJ Wine (www.pjwine.com) is a leading retailer of fine wines and spirits based in upper Manhattan. Founded in 1991 by wine connoisseur Peter Yi, PJ’s offers a complete selection of the world’s finest wines to customers around the country, with over 3,500 wines in stock, as well as gift baskets for special occasions and Wine of the Month Club memberships. PJ Wine will deliver to locations throughout the tri-state area, and national shipment is available to many states. Customers enjoy the convenience of ordering by phone and online at PJWine.com, one of the more informative wine web sites in the country, generating thousands of monthly visits. For more information about PJ Wine, to request assistance with a wine selection, or for a complimentary catalog, customers can call (212) 567-5500, fax (212) 567-2743 or e-mail info@pjwine.com

According to Robert Parker: "Marquis Philips is the most exciting wine project to emerge from Australia, and perhaps the New World, in the last year. Run, don't walk …secure as much as you can of these wines."

This is what i tried to do, after i tasted Marquis Philips Cabernet Sauvignon 2001, and before i read Parker's review. Unfortunatey, many prople read the review and rushed to the store even before me, so all stores in vicinity (and in NJ, as far as i know) are have these wines SOLD OUT. :angry:

( i found eventually 3 more bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 :smile: )

I know that many retailers, restaurants and customers suffered from the overwhelming demand vrs. the extremely underwhelming supply of all of the 2001 Marquis Philips wines. I'm trying to lobby for as much as I can of whats left/yet to be released, but it's an uphill battle. :wacko: