• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

btbyrd

btbyrd

If I could manage to save it, I'd just freeze it. I have a ton of vac bagged stocks in my freezer, and they're safe for basically forever (provided that you chilled them properly). But SV jus is something I always intend to save, but just end up using immediately. The best thing to do is move it directly from the bag to a pot and bring to a simmer or light boil for several minutes. This will cause many of the proteins to coagulate together and form a raftlike scum you can try to fish out and strain (cheesecloth works best). Chill and defat it. If this all works out correctly, you'll end up with clarified (or semi-clarified) jus that's incredibly flavorful and ripe for saucework or glazing.

For sauces:

Steep some herbs in the warm jus for 10 minutes and strain again. 

Mount it with a fat of your choice (tallow or butter for beef jus, butter or bacon fat for pork, butter or duck or schmaltz for chicken).

Salt to taste

Finish with an acid of your choice. Or maybe some sherry, white, or cognac. 

For glazes: Use clarified, salted, jus to glaze panroasted vegetables or potatoes. Feel free to mix it with other things you've got around the place -- soy sauce, fish sauce, chili sauce, whatever -- and throw on whatever you want to.

If, for some reason, you cannot find an immediate application for your clarified SV bag jus, chill and transfer it to a freezer bag (vacuum or otherwise), and freeze it until you need it. But I find I rarely have a storage problem.

btbyrd

btbyrd

If I could manage to save it, I'd just freeze it. I have a ton of vac bagged stocks in my freezer, and they're safe for basically forever (provided that you chilled them properly). But SV jus is something I always intend to save, but just end up using immediately. The best thing to do is move it directly from the bag to a pot and bring to a simmer or light boil for several minutes. This will cause many of the proteins to coagulate together and form a raftlike scum you can try to fish out and strain (cheesecloth works best). If this all works out correctly, you'll end up with clarified (or semi-clarified) jus that's incredibly flavorful and ripe for saucework or glazing.

For sauces:

Steep some herbs in the warm jus for 10 minutes and strain again. 

Mount it with a fat of your choice (tallow or butter for beef jus, butter or bacon fat for pork, butter or duckfat or schmaltz for chicken).

Season with salt to taste

Finish with an acid of your choice. Or maybe some sherry, white, or cognac. 

For glazes: Use clarified, salted, jus to glaze panroasted vegetables or potatoes. Feel free to mix it with other things you've got around the place -- soy sauce, fish sauce, chili sauce, whatever -- and throw on whatever.

If, for some reason, you cannot find an immediate application for your clarified SV bag jus, chill and transfer it to a freezer bag (vacuum or otherwise), and freeze it until you need it. But I find I rarely have a storage problem.