• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Locanda dei Vini

chopjwu12

Ok on the suggestion of some people veronica and i went to La Locanda de Vini today before the show. Some things were bad some were good.

Veronica started with the beef carpaccio with arugala parmesan cheese. It was good but may have needed a little more seasoning. But a light and simple dish. My first dish was a huge plate of muscles and cockles cook in a white wine and tomato broth. This was very good. The broth was tasty.

For entrees Veronica had the paperdele with duck ragout. This dish was excellent. The duck was tender the sauce was very good. Overall it was a great dish and fun to eat. I had the orchietta with sausage and brocoli rabe. My dish was just ok. I was lacking in flavor. The sauce was nonexistent almost. I had the same dish at lupa with handmade orchietta. This dish didn't even come close to being in that ones shadow. But it was edible just lacking.

The desserts were where the real problems came in. I ordered the crem brulle because i like it every once in a while. Man was this thing overcooked. It was seperated and everything. Then veronica got the wrong dessert. She ordered the chocolate cake or something and got something with pine nuts. They were really dissapointing. What could have been a fairly good meal turned sour in th end. It just goes to show you how important dessert really is.

Side notes. We had a bottle of pinot grigio that was preety good for 30 bucks. It drank well with the food. We were the first table in and while we were there only three tables were seated including us. We tried to get into becco and orso but they were both full. I would recomend some dishes like my app and veronicas entree. But i would stay far far away from desserts. Dont think i will return soon.

• 1 year later...

It's an excellent place; if you like rabbit, theirs is the best in the city. Their wine list is really superior to most places in its category (I understand that one of the partners is a senior exectuive of a major wine import/distributor specializing in Italian wines). Not the usual Theater District tourist trap.