• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chimay Premiere

mickblueeyes

Also called Chimay Red, this is one of only 5 Trappist beers available from Belgium. Since 1862, the Trappist (Order of Cistercian of the Strict Observance) monks of the Abbye de Notre-Dame de Scourmont have supported themselves by the making of beer and cheese. This expression is 7% abv.

The color is a dark amber hue and cloudy from the yeast in the bottle. It has a thin white head that disperses quickly. Light earthy fruit (musty cherries?) on the nose with a hint of yeastiness. Medium-bodied with continuation of the earthy fruit on the palate. Very light flash of malty sweetness on the medium-long finish and some light astringency.

3.3 out of 5

I gave the aroma a 5/10 because it was average and a bit musty

the appearence a 3/5 as it had poor head and cloudy (which was to be expected, so I could have given it a 4, I suppose)

the flavor a 6/10 for being above average, but not exceptional (simple, no real complexity, more mustiness)

the palate a 4/5 for good mouthfeel and body.

the overall impression was a 15/20 for being middle of the road, but well above average.

That works out to a 3.3/5

I feel like Chimay does much better with the Cinq Cents and Bleu (one of my favorites) which are both very good. I will do a review on them as soon as my local shop is back in stock. Basically, if I was going to spent 10 bucks on a .750 mL of beer, I could find much better deals. Aventinus, Chimay Bleu, Traquair House Ale, Skull Splitter, etc, etc.

Plus, you absolutely must pour it in the appropriate glass. It doesn't have to say Chimay, like this one, but it has to be this shape:a_home.jpg

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

I do use the appropriate chalice for Chimay and I have brewery glasses for almost every beer I drink (Corsendonk, Maudite, La Fin du Monde, Eau Benite, etc, etc). Of the three Chimays (red, white and blue or Premiere, Cinq Cents and Grand Reserve) the premiere has always been my least favorite. I would rather drink the grand reserve (which I have several vintage dated magnums of, aging) over the premiere anytime. The Premiere has always had that musty fruit taste that I find somewhat displeasurable. I am glad that someone likes it so that the national distributor keeps bringing it into the states, but for me, it is only above average, not superior, hence the rating of only slightly above average.

Of the three Chimays (red, white and blue or Premiere, Cinq Cents and Grand Reserve) the premiere has always been my least favorite. I would rather drink the grand reserve

ditto. of all the Chimays, the Grand Reserve is my fave.

Born Free, Now Expensive