• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blood Emulsification?

jsin44

Hello.  I'm new to this forum and to emulsions.  I've made a few dressings lately, but that's about it.  After doing some short ribs in the sous vide machine I was wondering if it is possible to make an emulsion of the blood you strain off the ribs by adding a little egg or mustard and using butter as the fat.  And if not, what is the blood lacking that prevents this process?  Thanks in advance.  Sorry if this is a ridiculous question.

Jason

First of all, it's not blood.  It's stock, mostly water with various molecules dispersed in it, including myoglobin.  In theory, you could use this to create an emulsified sauce, but that's not how we usually use it.  Rather, heat the bag juices almost to boiling, which will eliminate the red color (which most people find creepy) and coagulate proteins, which can then be strained out.  From there, prepare a sauce the same way you would for any meat.

I don't think so, though the main reason I remove them is appearance, i.e., they tend to cloud up a sauce.  But, goodness knows, there's no reason they need to be removed.  They're in practically every meat dish cooked by conventional means.