• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lubberwort

I am surprised this word is not commonplace in foodie discourse, and am on a mission to popularize it.

I'd never heard it until it was a definition question on the NPR word-game program, Says You.  Originally the name of a mythical herb said to cause those who consume it to become lazy and idle, it has come to mean food or drink lacking in nutritional value - i.e., junk food.  Pass it on!

Just what we need. An imaginary plant to illustrate a deeply flawed concept. Junk food, whether or not it fits one's value system, is not devoid of nutrition. Devoid means without. Junk food has calories. We need calories. It isn't devoid of nutrition.

Are there better things to eat? Of course.

Intelligent discourse is not promoted by mockery.

• Like 1