• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Bhel Poori

Fat Guy

Tommy, chances are it won't stick to the mold. If it does, you can spray the inside of the ring with a little non-stick stuff like Pam or whatever.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

i'm going to put this thing in a mold to get that perdy round shape.  i'm hoping it doesn't stick to the mold.  thoughts?

If there is enough chutney in the mix to keep it moist and together, it should not fall apart after being unmolded. And the ring does not need to be greased. I have never done that..and I know Hemant Mathur at Diwan does not do it either.

ok. well, maybe it's just me, but the recipe is a little vague as far as how much mix to use. maybe you could take out the "1/2 package" bit, which kinda throw it off. the only downside is that i made up making twice as much. :)

a pic is on the dinner thread if you're that interested.

thanks again. it's quite good. and sure to impress guests.

In one of those doo-doo doo-doo, twilight zone-ish episodes, just last week I was getting lunch from this newly discovered Indian food cart (called the Indian Chaat House...up near the library here in portland). There were a couple of youngish (like maybe college age) Indian guys eating something that looked really good at the plywood counter. While I was waiting for my channa saag, I asked what it was, and they pointed to the menu on the side of the truck. "Number 38, bahle-poori," said one, "it's really good."

So I walk back to work, log on to eGullet so I can read while I eat, and there's Suvir's story about bhel poori. The picture looks just like what these guys were eating, and I'm thinking, "whoa, is that weird or what?"

So today I go back up to try some. I order #38, pronouncing it bally poori like the other guy, and when it's ready the Indian woman who cooks everything asks me if I know how to eat it. She shows me several fried things, smaller than donuts but with an indentation. She says I put some of the cooked, spiced mashed potato in the indent, pour on some green sauce, and pop the whole thing in my mouth.

Sounds great, but wasn't what I was expecting. I describe what I thought I had ordered, and she says, "you want panni-poori." She makes it and it's just like Suvir's bhel poori (except really hot, since I had asked for spicy).

Is this a regional dialect thing or something similar?

Jim

ps...and does chaat mean snack?

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

In one of those doo-doo doo-doo, twilight zone-ish episodes, just last week I was getting lunch from this newly discovered Indian food cart (called the Indian Chaat House...up near the library here in portland). There were a couple of youngish (like maybe college age) Indian guys eating something that looked really good at the plywood counter. While I was waiting for my channa saag, I asked what it was, and they pointed to the menu on the side of the truck. "Number 38, bahle-poori," said one, "it's really good."

So I walk back to work, log on to eGullet so I can read while I eat, and there's Suvir's story about bhel poori. The picture looks just like what these guys were eating, and I'm thinking, "whoa, is that weird or what?"

So today I go back up to try some. I order #38, pronouncing it bally poori like the other guy, and when it's ready the Indian woman who cooks everything asks me if I know how to eat it. She shows me several fried things, smaller than donuts but with an indentation. She says I put some of the cooked, spiced mashed potato in the indent, pour on some green sauce, and pop the whole thing in my mouth.

Sounds great, but wasn't what I was expecting. I describe what I thought I had ordered, and she says, "you want panni-poori." She makes it and it's just like Suvir's bhel poori (except really hot, since I had asked for spicy).

Is this a regional dialect thing or something similar?

Jim

ps...and does chaat mean snack?

Jim it should not have been the way it occurred.

The restaurant was certainly not owned by an Indian from either the North or Gujarat or Bombay. These are main regions where you will find different Chaats. They are not a part of Southern India.

What you were served seemed like a Bhalla or Vada. Those are the donut shaped lentil and rice dumplings. These are eaten if served as donuts soaked in a lentil and vegetable stew or as Bhalle or Dahi Pakori or Gujia immersed in a spiced yogurt and topped with chutneys.

Bahle Poori must be a miss pronunciation of Bhalle. Not sure where they got poor added to that name. Sorry! :sad:

But no sorry, the story only gets more interesting, I think what you had was Paani Poori or Gol Gappas or Puchkas, the names of the same dish. These are little puffy balls (crisps),you make a hole into them, stuff them with potatoes and other condiments and then pour a spicy water into it and eat it in one bite. Could this have been what you had? The green sauce was very water??? If so, you did eat Gol Gappas also called Paani Poori or Puchkas.

It is one of my favorite street foods from India. It is not Bhel Puri. It is totally different. I would eat dozens of these as a kid. They take some time getting used to the taste, but once you have gotten used to them, they are addictive.

If she served you paani poori calling it Bhel, she really does not know what she is doing. Paani is the hindi word for water. Poori is the word for crispy fried breads. Paani poori is the name of the dish in which you pour the green water and eat the potato stuffed poori in one bite. It can also be called Gol Gappas or Puchkas as I noted above.

Bhel Puri is made with rice puffs and chickpea flour noodles and has onions and potatoes mixed into this and tamarind chutney and mint chutney. These are tossed together and served while the rice is still crunch and crackling as it absorbs the liquid from the condiments.

The lady was misinformed. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with regional dialect issues.

My question is... in the end did you try two different dishes?

Which one did you prefer Jim? Maybe if you have a digital camera, you can take pictures next time..and get the names that match them.. would be interesting to see how someone can make such a mistake. I apologize for this experience. I hope you enjoyed the stuff though.

Chaat literally means lick. But it also implies mouth watering good- lickable and delicious and usually is the expression used to speak about street foods.

mouth watering good- lickable and delicious

All of that, Suvir. I'm amazed at how easy this dish is to make. I made a simple lemon and coriander sauce to serve it with and the crackers came in the box. I have no idea what they are, but they are very crunchy and sort of nutty.

I took a picture of the finished item but I can't get it to display. I'm fair scunnered with this now as it's taken hours just to get the image uploaded. Now I have....eGullet wont/can't display it.

:huh:

bhelpuri.jpg

Edited by A Scottish Chef (log)

mouth watering good- lickable and delicious

All of that, Suvir. I'm amazed at how easy this dish is to make. I made a simple lemon and coriander sauce to serve it with and the crackers came in the box. I have no idea what they are, but they are very crunchy and sort of nutty.

I took a picture of the finished item but I can't get it to display. I'm fair scunnered with this now as it's taken hours just to get the image uploaded. Now I have....eGullet wont/can't display it.

:huh:

bhelpuri.jpg

If you want, you can email me the link. Let me see if the link works.

And thanks for taking the picture.

Looking forward to seeing it. :smile:

Suvir,

I only ate the one dish that was exactly like the bhel puri described here (and very good)...the other one, which I will go back for later, looked exactly like this:

These are little puffy balls (crisps),you make a hole into them, stuff them with potatoes and other condiments and then pour a spicy water into it and eat it in one bite.  Could this have been what you had?  The green sauce was very water???  If so, you did eat Gol Gappas also called Paani Poori or Puchkas

The green sauce looked like water....

Of course, the whole thing could also be a communication issue...I'm never exactly sure if the people who work this cart understand what I'm saying...next time I'll order by menu number.

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

I made some Behl Poori tonight for dinner. Tasty goodness!

The Behl mix that I used seemed a little funny though, it had the small pieces like I expected but it also had some big "frito chip" sized pieces. I just broke them up to get past this.

I made my own chutneys and they were fabulous! Thanks again Suvir!!!

With my meal, I grilled up some chicken pieces that were marinated in yoghurt with cumin, coriander, cinnamon, tumeric, and chili powder.

It was a fun project!!!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I made some Behl Poori tonight for dinner.  Tasty goodness!

The Behl mix that I used seemed a little funny though, it had the small pieces like I expected but it also had some big "frito chip" sized pieces.  I just broke them up to get past this.

I made my own chutneys and they were fabulous!  Thanks again Suvir!!!

With my meal, I grilled up some chicken pieces that were marinated in yoghurt with cumin, coriander, cinnamon, tumeric, and chili powder.

It was a fun project!!!

Ben

The Frito chip like pieces are a part of Bhel Mix. They are called Papri. These are added into the mix so at least something maintains a crispy texture all through. I love them in Bhel Puri.

How did Diane like the Tamarind Chutney? Was it too spicy for her?

The chicken sounds really good. Maybe next time you will share pictures? Demanding I am... Sorry... But you all spoil me...

I was careful about the spiciness in the tamarind chutney since Katie cannot tolerate spicy foods very well. I think it turned out very balanced.

The green chutney was spicier though. I added about 3/4 of a serrano pepper (no seeds) and it was almost too spicy for her. :shock: It was just right for me though. :smile:

I was all ready to take some pictures and such, but when I grabbed my camera ... it was not working!!!! I hope it is not broken. The lens assembly will not retract into the body and it will not take any pictures. :sad: I hope it is working by the next time I cook some indian food.

Thanks again!

Ben

-Freakmaster

-Mario

I was careful about the spiciness in the tamarind chutney since Katie cannot tolerate spicy foods very well.  I think it turned out very balanced.

The green chutney was spicier though.  I added about 3/4 of a serrano pepper (no seeds) and it was almost too spicy for her.  :shock:  It was just right for me though.  :smile:

I was all ready to take some pictures and such, but when I grabbed my camera ... it was not working!!!!  I hope it is not broken.  The lens assembly will not retract into the body and it will not take any pictures.  :sad:  I hope it is working by the next time I cook some indian food.

Thanks again!

Ben

I am glad the tamarind chutney was not too spicy for her. Sorry about the green chutney.

What did she think of the Bhel Puri? Was it too spicy for Diane?

Hope your camera is OK.

Sorry about that.

Oh, even though the green chutney was a little spicy, she loved it! As did I. We love the sweet and sour flavor mixed with the freshness of the green chutney. It is highlighted even more with the lovely texture of the bhel.

I got to use a fun dome mold that I got as a gift. It made a nice dome of bhel poori on our plates. I spooned a bit of the tamarind chutney around this to finish.

Great recipe Suvir! Once you make the chutney, it is so easy! I think I will try adding a potato next time too.

Ben

-Freakmaster

-Mario

Oh, even though the green chutney was a little spicy, she loved it!  As did I.  We love the sweet and sour flavor mixed with the freshness of the green chutney.  It is highlighted even more with the lovely texture of the bhel.

I got to use a fun dome mold that I got as a gift.  It made a nice dome of bhel poori on our plates.  I spooned a bit of the tamarind chutney around this to finish.

Great recipe Suvir!  Once you make the chutney, it is so easy!  I think I will try adding a potato next time too.

Ben

Thanks Ben!

The credit goes to those street side vendors that have supplied Bhel to us Indians for millenia.

It is addictive ... at least to me and my friends.. and really very very easy to make.

I love the home made chutneys. And yes the contrast between the sweet and deep tamarind date and the playful, light, spicy and fresh green chutney is wonderful.

Some people add a little garlic and lime juice. They make it by grinding garlic with lots of lemon juice. Just a few drops of this garlic infused lemon juice goes a long way.

Potatoes are almsot always added in India. They actually taste very good. I add tomatoes when I do not have potatoes handy. Rarely, but not uncommon. You may enjoy biting into cubes of potato.

I often will added dates into the tamarind date chutney. It makes the chutney even tastier.

Suvir, I tried this again today with some boiled potato chunks in it. Lovely.

Ben

p.s. Actually, I have made it here at work the past two days for lunch. I brought the behl mix in a little zip-lock bag and then had the rest of the ingredients in a little container. I mixed them together in a bowl and went to town eating it.

-Freakmaster

-Mario

Suvir, I tried this again today with some boiled potato chunks in it.  Lovely.

Ben

p.s. Actually, I have made it here at work the past two days for lunch.  I brought the behl mix in a little zip-lock bag and then had the rest of the ingredients in a little container.  I mixed them together in a bowl and went to town eating it.

Wow!

That sounds like fun.... I can have Bhel Puri most anytime. It is also so very light.

Maybe it is time to now do a thread on another chaat recipe... will work on that...

Here is Scottish Chef's photograph...

scotbhel.jpg

Scottish Chef, how did you make that sauce?

Have you tried the Bhel without it?

What do you think the sauce adds to the Bhel?

The sauce is very simple.

Tsp. Chopped Coriander stem.

Tsp. Chopped Coriander leaf.

Tsp. Grated Garlic.

Tsp. Lemon Zest.

Tblsp. Lemon Juice

6 Tblsp. Single Cream

1 Tsp. Ghee

Melt the ghee, and very gently fry the garlic, lemon zest and lemon juice until the lemon juice is completely reduced.

Add the cream and stir through until hot and add the coriander stem and leaf immediately prior to serving.

I tried plenty of the Bhel without the sauce and I'll be returning to this cracker of a wee dish time and again now :biggrin:

The sauce added a simple, creamy contrast to the crunchiness of the Bhel and I thought it blended well with the moistness of the chutney already present. The hint of lemon flavour worked very well, too.

• 1 month later...

A friend sent me the note below. I reminded me of Bhel Puri.

Has anyone made it yet? My brother who LOVES food and is happy snacking in between meals (typically northern Indian for sure), makes me prepare Bhel Puri for him very often. He also loves my tamarind chutney and wants it as a condiment with all meals. :smile:

Bhel is really addictive and soooo delicious. I always wonder what people go back thinking after eating is their first time. Most people I know become immediate fans.

Is that also true for you?

"Have been to Diwan several times in the last few weeks. My friends have totally

fallen in love with Hemant's food. Am actually having about ten friends for

dinner there this Friday. Folks have really liked your tomato chutney, but

the bhel poori (is that the right spelling?) draws raves everytime. Amazing

how many people think they don't like Indian food until they've tried

something that is the opposite of the typical steam table fast food Indian

takeaway. "

• 7 months later...
Suvir, I think its great that you are so accepting of alternative mixes, jarred chutneys, canned beans, etc. YOu are one of the  few professional chefs who understands the time constraints and abilities of the home chef.  My first Indian  dishes were with pre mixed garam masala, chutney's, etc...and those moderate successes made me want to try more. ( I always used  the  wrong pan, too! )  I commend you for this approach: you welocome people to the cuisine in whatever way they can try it, and then, lead them to a level where they desire  to put more effort and homemade care into each dish.  Thanks.

Kim, I am sorry I never thanked you earlier for your kind words.

I was searching for Bhel to send the link to a friend, and saw your post.

Hope you and yours are enjoying the cooler climate.

Happy cooking to you. :smile:

• 6 months later...

Suvir, your Tamarind Chutney is so addictive. If you're still around, thank you. I'd been making a fairly basic one prior to this and hadn't been able to get it quite there, but this is delicious. I made it with chopped dates and a half brick of jaggery to substitute for the sugar, and got a couple of my classmates addicted, hehe.

I also need to order bhel mix from namaste.com at some point. There is a place I go to locally to get it, the package says it's a Kashmir style "bail mix", and it's very good but it doesn't have any papri in it.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-