• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for an auberge from 30 years ago...oh yeah, possibly near Lyon

RocketChef

(The short version); Almost 30 years ago I went backpacking through France, I was a young & naïve pretend chef who was yet to understand what my chosen profession was all about & how it would shape my life. On a trip through the Lyon area myself & two companions were fortunate enough to hook up with a family from our home (Northern Ireland) who had either relocated or had a summer residence in what I recall as “Villefranche”. We stayed in “someone’s” caravan & ate at a local country restaurant a meal that was to change my life. ..

…The profound impact of the meal was not because of some high art kitchen wizardry but purely the impact of the quality & freshness of the simple ingredients that we ate in the most unpretentious dining environment I had ever encountered. Time has clouded the memory but we ate from a no choice 6 or 7 course menu including a frizzy salad, salami, a rich chicken dish, cheese & petti suisse with pouring cream & sugar. Our dining room was a large open barn with a hearth at one end & the kitchen at the other, wine was also I believe a no choice; red in an unmarked bottle. One clear memory is of 2 friendly Doberman dogs roaming both in the courtyard & occasionally between the rustic wooden, no cloth, tables.

The experience has haunted me for the last 30 years & become a grounding reference when I am tempted to add one more foam or micro herb, but even more important is that one of my traveling companions (who was not in the industry) suddenly understood why I did what I did & his love of food was born. He has become the best friend I have on this planet & many good times at the table since have been in conversations that return to the “first” meal at Villefranche. ….now I just have to find it & hopefully get us (& now partners) back there 30 years on..

The restaurant\Auberge\barn or whatever it was may no longer exist, but if it does it my ambition is to return Sept\Oct 2013..I don’t expect to relive the memory & I have eaten enough now to know that the best food memories are a moment in time, (a contextual experience that despite our efforts in the kitchen we can never create by culinary effort alone) & therefore with realistic expectations, the search for the country restaurant in “Villefranche” somewhere near Lyon” has begun. I am never going to find this place without someone’s help so any clues, leads, ideas or pointers would be very gratefully received..

A first look at a Google maps would suggest that my “Villefranche near Lyon” may be Villefranche-sur-Saone, so that’s my only possible reference so far.. if anyone can help please do?

Thanks in hope,

Its only food...!

Hi, Rocketchef.

I have a friend who lives near Villefranche-sur-Saone. I'll see if she has any ideas. But don't hold your breath; she's only been there a few years (previously Lyon).

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Not sure if it's a huge help, but the food you mention is typical of the classic cuisine of the region around Villefranche-sur-Saone, so I reckon you're in the right area.

Narrowing it down to a specific auberge from 30 years ago is going to be a whole other Herculean task.

Will be keeping tabs on how you get on; I think it will make for quite a charming tale.

Itinerant winemaker

Follow me on Twitter