• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastelon

Jason Perlow

CBS This Morning posted a great recipe by Daisy Martinez for Pastelon, a Caribbean-style meat pie made with a plantain crust. Looks amazing and pretty easy to make.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Mmm, I love Colombian cooking! I'll have to go out to the tienda and get me some maduros now.... Dangit, Jason!

I'm not sure if it's Colombian, most likely Puerto Rican or Cuban. But it looks very tasty. I'm thinking of preparing these in muffin tins for individual servings.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've eaten a great deal of pastelón while on vacation on the Caribbean coast of Colombia - so it's entirely possible it's an island dish, but I will always associate it with Colombia.

If you're preparing it in muffin tins, slice your plantains more thinly than she's suggesting - otherwise there will be no room for the picadillo!

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)