• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ile Flottante

Ike Epley

Help, I am having a dinner party on Thursday night which is difficult for me as I work all day everyday. I am making lie flottante, I am going to do the creme anglais sous vide on Wed. I want to make the meringues early, but don't know how long they will keep. I also have a chamber vacuum sealer and am having trouble keeping the liquid in the bags upon sealing. All help is greatly appreciated.

Ike

• 2 weeks later...

By now you have made your dessert and may have discovered that the meringue can be made a few days ahead with no problem. We have stored them for up to a week but consider three days to be optimal. The creme anglaise will also keep for three days or more.

i assume you have an edge sealer such as Foodsaver. There are lots of references to using long bags for sealing liquids and hanging them off the edge of a table as the vacuum is pulled. Press the seal button just before the liquid rises to the seal bar (if you machine allows this). The alternative is to put the liquid in the bag, fold over the top, freeze it overnight and seal it the next day.

Paul Eggermann

Vice President, Secretary and webmaster

Les Marmitons of New Jersey