• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How long until vegetables die, after adding dressing (vinaigrette)?

skyhskyh

How long till the Vegetables die? after put on dressing (vinaigrette):

Situation (in a restaurant kitchen):

I accidentally put vinaigrette dressings on the salad vegetables because I thought there was an order. Realising that there was actually no order, I put this salad on the side thinking I could re-use it later in the night. (it was only approx. the start of the service time)

The head chef took the salad, told me that it will die and threw away.

I want to find out whether this is true or not? in my opinion, it won't (if using it later in the night)

Assuming that there will be salad order and assume that the salad order will be say 2 hrs later, will the vegetables be already dead or "not desirable" at all?

thanks in advance

Check McGee's The Curious Cook for a full discussion of the effects of oil on the breakdown, leading to wiliting of salad greens; unfortunately, all my books are in moving boxes at the moment.

However, the takeaway is that if you want salads to be at their best, dress them as soon before serving as possible: When you have a mix of greens, the more delicate ones may start to wilt in as few as 15 minutes, sometimes less.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org