• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Balancing Act

tigger26

Hi Chef-

Just wondering which direction you feel influence travels more strongly in, ie does your restaurant life absolutely effect what you do creatively outside the kitchen, or are you happy enough to be involved in other things that you leave it all behind?

Or maybe the opposite is true that excellent but infrequent soujourns away from the kitchen have huge influence when you're writing new menus?

Travelling is great! I always get very inspired by my trips. I try not to leave for too long, but still visit the country thoroughly.

Sometimes what I see takes months of "digestion" before I use it in the kitchen. I like to take my time...but for sure whatever I learn outside the restaurant comes back in one way or another.

So, yes, travelling influences the way I create.