• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Versawhip 600k and xanthan gum

boondocker

Chef bought some versawhip, agar, and xantham gum after the new years. I've found some pretty good information on agar agar and some other hydrocoloids like lecethin, but can't seem to find any good information or starting points on where to start experimenting on versawhip. From what I've collected, it works similar to lecethin and can do either hot or cold foams and alot of people seem to be using it in conjunction with xantham gum for thickening and getting different mouth feels from the foam. I have absolutely no idea where to start some baseline experiments or some tested recipes to get ideas from. Have any of you out there worked with these products?

Update 1:

I did some playing around today. using a little but of a liquid gel with agar agar then water with versawhip and xanthan gum I made a whipped cream like substance. Next step is to see if I can repeat these results with some clarified lobster stock.

Update 2:

I've succeeded in creating a whipped cream substitute out of some reduced shrimp stock (looks more like a meringue actually) that has an intense seafood flavor. Almost got it down and I found out that it does some interesting things when you freeze it after whipping it. Behaves almost like whipped cream, can hold a firm peak. Only problem so far is that holding it cold the gelatin structure falls and it turns back into a semi-liquid base which can be rewhipped quickly by hand.

Update 3:

Having trouble getting rid if an odd taste with this product. As far as form goes, its exactly what we wanted, but it was bitter at first so I added simple syrup. That got rid of the bitterness but a strange metallic taste still remains. will have to try cutting down the versawhip in the recipe this week