• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sense Of Smell Can Be Improved With Training - real life story

Don Giovanni

Sense Of Smell Can Be Improved With Training- real life story

ok it seems this study confirms my thoughts on this subject... you see I had a customer who lost their sense of smell and was really depressed... so depressed that I worried it might really affect their health as they loved the smell of wine and the wonders that a good nuance of smell would evoke...

so I had them shop for many things to smell so that they could start training... everyday they set 15 min aside and worked-out their sense of smell... they picked up over 50 different things that would give them a run for the money... after one year of training the sense of smell went from nothing to something that has grown every time that they now come in... their quality of life has improved and they are back able to pick out the pleasures of life, wine... so to see the below does not surprise me at all...

It's well-known that resistance training can increase muscle mass and that reading has been shown to improve brain function. Now, a new study published in Nature Neuroscience suggests that one's sense of smell can also be improved through training.

The news comes after researchers at NYU's Langone Medical Center reported that they were able to train lab rats to better distinguish smells and to become familiar with different smell combinations after "repeated exposures and rewards," according to Scientific American.

Click On Me

they had rats in training and they learned... surely humans are a least as complex as a rat...?...

anyone have other stories on smell please post...

the human brain has remarkable plasticity, even into old age!

as student of neuroscience I've come across countless examples of "remapping" of senses, it seems entirely plausible that we could improve our sense of smell as well!

Edited by Dan C. (log)