• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonalds is #2 -- because Subway is #1

Chris Amirault

Why not just ask the person to put more on...or say "I like a lot of lettuce." Of course its going to vary from person to person...did you want them to use a measuring cup for lettuce and onions?

Trust me, I do. At the stingy places they'll give you the hairy eyeball and then add another morsel or 2. At the store closest to me they look genuinely uncomfortable when I ask, as if they hear it a lot. I don't go to that store anymore. The generous places load you up without having to ask.

Most restaurant chains have standards they require franchisees to follow. Perhaps measuring cups, perhaps sample photos, perhaps standardized training. I get the feeling at Subways the topping quantities are determined by the store owner/manager. The stingy ones really try to stretch that shredded head of iceberg and that sliced green pepper.

Once there were about 6 Subways in Vienna. Now there is one. There are 44 Mcdonalds (and 10 Burger Kings, if anyone is interested). So there is not exactly a race for first place here.

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

I think that Subway's genius is precisely this updated "have it your way" -- and watch while it happens -- experience.

Agreed. And the bread smells so good!

Seriously? Personally I find the smell of the bread nauseating; so much so, that I have to cross the road or hold my breath if I'm going past a Subway.

Each to their own, I suppose.

I bake bread at least once a week and sometimes as often as 3X; everything from wild-yeast sourdough to cinnamon rolls to English muffins to brioche. The over-yeasted, sugary funk given off by Subway's bakery is absolutely revolting to me. How on earth does Subway make baking bread smell SO bad?